Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Why spell Afrika with a K?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Why spell Afrika with a K?
      Posted: February 17, 2002
      An analysis by
      Dr. Kwame Nantambu

According to the Afrikan-American poet and writer Haki Madhubuti in his From Plan to Planet (1973), there are basically four reasons to spell Afrika with a K.

They are:
      1. Most vernacular or traditional languages on the Continent spell Afrika with a K. K is germane to Afrika.

2. Europeans particularly the Portuguese and British, polutted Afrikan languages by substituting 'C' whenever they saw 'K' or heard the 'K' sound B as in Kongo and Congo, Akkra and Accra, Konakri and Conakry B by substituting Q whenever they saw KW. No European language outside of Dutch and German has the hard 'C' sound. Thus, we see the Dutch in Azania calling and spelling themselves Afrikaaners.

We are not certain of the origin of the name Afrika, but we are sure the name spelled with 'C' came into use when Afrikans were dispersed over the world. There the 'K' symbolizes our coming back together again.

3. The 'K' symbolizes a kind of Lingua Afrikana, coming into use along with such words and phrases as Habari Gani, Osagyefo, Uhuru, Asante, together constituting one political language, although coming from more than one Afrikan language.

4. As long as Afrikan languages are translated (written) into English, etc., the European alphabet will be used. This is the problem. The letter 'K' as with the letter 'C', is part of that alphabet, and at some point must be totally discontinued with the original name of Afrika used. The fact that Boers (peasants) in Azania also use the 'K', as in Afrikan to represent the hard 'C' sound demonstrates one of the confinements of the alphabet. Azania is the original name for South Afrika.

Shem Hotep ("I go in peace").

Dr. Nantambu is an Associate Professor, Dept. of Pan-African Studies, Kent State University, U.S.A.
      Learn Twi, Yoruba and Wolof ||| Live Interactive Online

Abibitumi Kasa Afrikan Liberation Institute

Abibitumi Kasa Ning Network

JrFem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Azania is the name for Afric/ka?

An article from 1968 which explains why the Pan-Africanist Congress of Azania calls the whole continent Azania.

Some points-
      Africa was the Roman colony Carthage
      Zanj = "blackman" like Zanjebar(Zanzibar), which means black coast or black mans coast
      j and i have been interchanged often in history so its really Azanja, but changed to Azania
      The Indian Ocean = the sea of azania

Has anyone heard of the whole continent being called Azania/Azanja by the ancients?
      -jennia
      "forward ever"

Akyeame Kwame is offline Abibikasawura

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JrFem
      An article from 1968 which explains why the Pan-Africanist Congress of Azania calls the whole continent Azania.

Some points-
      Zanj = "blackman" like Zanjebar(Zanzibar), which means black coast or black mans coast
      j and i have been interchanged often in history so its really Azanja, but changed to Azania

Has anyone heard of the whole continent being called Azania/Azanja by the ancients?
      To my knowledge Zanj is arabic for the east Afrikan coast and was later used to refer to Afrikans who were enslaved...thus the first recorded revolution of enslaved Afrikans in the diaspora being called the Zanj Revolution...

Thumbs Up/Down

bumpsies

bumpsies

Baba Ahmed is offline Honorable Ancestor

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by JrFem

Some points-

Greetings JrFem

I tried to use the link; page could not be displayed and don't have much time now; but fyi here's an entry from an Arabic-English Dictionary (which means the Arabic script is listed first that is omitted here):

zanj, zinj (colloquial) pl. zunuj Negro(es)

zanji, zinji Negro (adj. and n.)

zanjabar Zanzibar (island and seaport off E. African coast)

------------------------

I advise caution in accepting the translation of a word from one language transliterated into another when u lack knowledge of either language. In this case three languages: Rome's, some unnamed Afrikan language and Arabic. Check, at least a lexicon if possible in the language u read and understand. If u'd like I can check an Arabic English Lexicon volume with a friend. I have only 2 volumes that do not include the "z" listings.

Also did u check a map of Afrika to see where Carthage is today? Surely its rediculous to state that Africa was the Roman colony of Carthage! Carthage was a city/state in North Afrika, not the entire Continent of Mama Afrika. Do u realize the size of THE CONTINENT OF AFRIKA, with or without a "c" or "k?"
      Rome ancient or modern ain't nevva been all that!!! Europe did not exist during Rome's glory days and during the Ptolemy Dynasties of Ancient Kemet. And it today isn't as vast as our Mama Afrikan Continent.

I've never read anywhere that our entire Continent was ever known by one name. Til C.E. times, i.e., Current Era formerly labled A.D.

JrFem will u post the actual url for the referenced article by some Pan Afrikan Congress writer of 1968?

'Preciated, it'll be.

Thanks and keep studying and pray to your god, if u have one or a few, for this old man to be kept focused and tuned into his purpose: to tell our yuth the truth.... to the best of my guidance...
      Free Dome Zone

http://www.oneblackearth.com
      http://oneblackearth.tripod.com
      ==========================

PayPal ready.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down

From Plan to Planet is by far one of my favorite books of all time.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Ra_Nehem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Mikyia mo (Greetings),

I have an expanded version (with an image from the papyrus of Khensumes) of an article I previously posted here on my website called:

AFURAKA/AFURAITKAIT - The origin of the term 'Africa'.

Here's the link:

www.odwirafo.com/AFURAKA-AFURAITKAIT.doc

Ma asomdwoee-Hetep (Peace),
      Ra Nehem
      Trustory: [troo'-stoh-ree (true-story; trust-ory/trustworthy story); trustorical, trustorically]

A true and accurate account of past events.

www.odwirafo.com

JrFem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Ahmed
      JrFem will u post the actual url for the referenced article by some Pan Afrikan Congress writer of 1968?

'Preciated, it'll be.
      Go to http://disa.nu.ac.za/articlesearch/index.asp
      search Article title : "Azania or South Africa? PAC's answer"
      hope that works.

Regarding Baba Ahmed research and the article brought forth by Ra_Nehem:

I see that Azania is derived from Arabic, but I was wondering if it was originally arabic, or did the people from the island of Zanizabar say that was their name, which made a definition change for speakers of Arabic.

Its hard for me to accept Kemetic definitions for answers, but I am intrigued by the article, except it bother me about the definition of America, which I was taught came from some Italian man named America (which is still a stupid reason), and I haven't heard anything since...So did someone ask people in the area that is now Peru, what is the name of this land? and they said America, and people accepted it?

I'm also a bit confused as to what part of Kemet is Africa? How was the word Afurka used in context? did the ancients use it as a word for the rest of the areas which were not Kemet? or was it a definition for where they are and beyond? Why doesn't it apply to all land masses raised by Ra? where did the other land masses come from? Why is afurka the divine land and the other areas not divine?

I know people weren't ignorant of places outside of Kemet, but why would everyone living outside of Kemet accept the Kemet definitional name of their area?
      -jennia
      "forward ever"

Thumbs Up/Down

Mikyia wo (Greetings) JrFem,

Native Nicaraguans have been in an intellectual battle against europeans for the theft of their indigenous name. Our Elder scholar Jan Carew has written of this. The italian now called Amerigo Vespucci was actually christened Albericus according to many sources. He changed his name after having invaded the west. In ancient Peru, the land was called the Land/Ka of Amaru (Ameru) and this name persisted so that the people around Nicaragua up until recent times maintained the name Ameriqque as a sacred name. Here's an excerpt dealing with that info:

"...Did America get its name through oral tradition when those who had sailed with Columbus or Vespucci circulated stories that gold was to be found in the Amerrique Mountains of Nicaragua? According to Ricardo Palma's Tradiciones Peruanas (Peruvian Traditions, 1949), the ending of the word America indicates this origin: "The ending ic (ica, ique, ico made Spanish) is found frequently in the names of places, in the languages and native dialects of Central America and even of the Antilles. It seems to mean 'great, high, prominent' and is applied to mountains and peaks in which there are no volcanos." The Spanish Enciclopedia Universal Ilustrada (1907) gives Americ or América as a mountainous region in Nicaragua, adding that Columbus had landed on the coast of Nicaragua directly east of these mountains. Columbus, who met the Indians of this coast, presumably heard the name Amerrique from them: he was looking for gold and the Indians gave him some, telling him he could get more to the west in the mountains there.

The coast at the foot of the Amerrique Mountains that faces the Caribbean Sea is called the Mosquito Coast, named for the Mosquito Indians, who live there still. The Mosquitos are Caribs. It is almost certain that Columbus first heard the name of the mountains pronounced by a Carib. Amerrique, therefore, must derive from a Carib word, possibly one of the Carib culture words — not a word in the Mayan language, which was not spoken in Nicaragua, though it almost resembles in sound the Quiche Mayan iq' amaq'el meaning perpetual wind. According to Robert M. Laughlin, curator of Mesoamerican Ethnology at the Smithsonian Institution, and eminent anthropologist with expertise in Mayan culture, the supposed Maya connection to America is very far-fetched, especially since "r" is rarely in the alphabets of Mayan languages.

The Caribs, traveling far from their Carib or Cariay coast, could see the Amerriques in the distance, and these mountains for them could have signified the mainland. The Indians in the Caribbean did have a word for the mainland, given in the Lexicograf*a Antillana (Antillean Dictionary, 1931) as babeque and defined as the name that Columbus understood the Indians to say when they were pointing to a land beyond Haiti and Cuba. Las Casas believed for a while that this must be Jamaica, but later decided it was the name for the mainland. Other historians have considered it the name the Caribs used for the mainland...."

Here's one of many links dealing with the Peruvian origin of America:

www.amaruca.com

There are many others if you look in a search engine.

If you study the cosmology of the plummed/feathered serpent in Peru and Kamit (as well as contemporary Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa)) you'll find that they are dealing with the same Creative Power. Ra is symbolized as the coiled serpent with His tail in His mouth. (The same as Da in Ewe Vodoun). Ra is symbolized with plumes (feathers) only when merged with Amen. The peculiar tall plumes/feathers are symbols which distinguish Amen from other Deities. As Amen Ra we have not just the serpent, but the plummed serpent. Again, another definition of the word "west" in Kamit is Amen.t Moreover, sometimes Ra is spelled "Ru" when written with the metut/symbol of a couched lion. This is how Amenra becomes Amenru, Ameru or Amaru. Ka (Qa) meaning "high land; mountain; exalted land" etc. is identical in Kamit and Peru. Remember, we were in America thousands of years before the "asian"-type "native" american arrived here.

The Ka of Ameru (Land/high land of the plummed Creator-serpent) means exactly the same thing in Peru and Kamit without any alteration.

The region of Kamit depicted on the papyrus of Khensumes in the attachment is the region of Khemennu (called Hermopolis). The city of the "Eight". This is where the sacred mound (Ka/Qa and Kait/Qat) of Afu Ra and Afu Rait first emerged from the Ocean. Just as the Yoruba call "oke ara" the hill/mountain (oke) where the Orishas (Deities) first descended at the creation of the world, so is the Ka/Kait (Qa/Qat) defined as the divine land/hill upon which the God of Creation first stood. Eventually, more of the ocean floor would emerge from underneath the ocean and we then had one great landmass known in english as "pangaea". This great landmass would eventually separate into the various continents we have today.

Yet, the heart continent (literally and figuratively) is the continent which contains the sacred mound. It is the Divine Land. It is so for us not only because of its role as the origin of Earth's first surface landmass, but secondly because it is in Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) where the Deities again descended to ritually possess our Ancestresses and Ancestors for the first time through song, dance, meditation, etc. The Deities made it clear and continue to make it clear that Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) is the heartland and Divine Land. Anyone of us (Afurakanu/Afuraitkaitnut (Africans)) who engages the ritual practices of Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) will learn this quite quickly.

The energy of Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) is different from any other place on Earth, and the most powerful and ancient Divinities have their most ancient shrines (groves; rivers, etc.) there. These are the parent shrines from which all other shrines which we have carried to different parts of the world were/are born.

Originally, the name referred to the mound and its surrounding regions (shown in the papyrus). Eventually, the continent would be referred to as such. The greek and roman and berber names are corruptions of this.

The majority of indigenous names of cities, regions, etc. from Kamit were corrupted by the greeks, romans and arabs, and continue to be used. An example of this is the ancient city of the Deity Men (Min-Amen) called Gebtu, which was corrupted into Gebtus, Kebtus and Coptos. The europeans can't comprehend the sacredness of the name Gebtu because they can't relate to the God Men (Min). Yet, they still use the corrupt name Coptos, and have done so for over 2,000 years. Many egyptologists still use it. The same goes for the masculine Afuraka (Africa).

Let me know if this answers your questions.

We must study our cosmology and languages (those of Kamit and Keneset/Nubia and their contemporary derivatives: Akan, Yoruba, Ewe, Igbo, etc.) to learn the truth about our culture and protocol (including naming). We should not rely on comparatively recent writings/literature (past 2,500 years)produced by the greeks, romans and berbers--all of whom had limited knowledge of our culture.

Ra Nehem
      Trustory: [troo'-stoh-ree (true-story; trust-ory/trustworthy story); trustorical, trustorically]

www.odwirafo.com

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Ra_Nehem

Native Nicaraguans have been in an intellectual battle against europeans for the theft of their indigenous name. Our Elder scholar Jan Carew has written of this. The italian now called Amerigo Vespucci was actually christened Albericus according to many sources. He changed his name after having invaded the west. In ancient Peru, the land was called the Land/Ka of Amaru (Ameru) and this name persisted so that the people around Nicaragua up until recent times maintained the name Ameriqque as a sacred name. Here's an excerpt dealing with that info:

"...Did America get its name through oral tradition when those who had sailed with Columbus or Vespucci circulated stories that gold was to be found in the Amerrique Mountains of Nicaragua? According to Ricardo Palma's Tradiciones Peruanas (Peruvian Traditions, 1949), the ending of the word America indicates this origin: "The ending ic (ica, ique, ico made Spanish) is found frequently in the names of places, in the languages and native dialects of Central America and even of the Antilles. It seems to mean 'great, high, prominent' and is applied to mountains and peaks in which there are no volcanos." The Spanish Enciclopedia Universal Ilustrada (1907) gives Americ or América as a mountainous region in Nicaragua, adding that Columbus had landed on the coast of Nicaragua directly east of these mountains. Columbus, who met the Indians of this coast, presumably heard the name Amerrique from them: he was looking for gold and the Indians gave him some, telling him he could get more to the west in the mountains there.

The coast at the foot of the Amerrique Mountains that faces the Caribbean Sea is called the Mosquito Coast, named for the Mosquito Indians, who live there still. The Mosquitos are Caribs. It is almost certain that Columbus first heard the name of the mountains pronounced by a Carib. Amerrique, therefore, must derive from a Carib word, possibly one of the Carib culture words — not a word in the Mayan language, which was not spoken in Nicaragua, though it almost resembles in sound the Quiche Mayan iq' amaq'el meaning perpetual wind. According to Robert M. Laughlin, curator of Mesoamerican Ethnology at the Smithsonian Institution, and eminent anthropologist with expertise in Mayan culture, the supposed Maya connection to America is very far-fetched, especially since "r" is rarely in the alphabets of Mayan languages.

The Caribs, traveling far from their Carib or Cariay coast, could see the Amerriques in the distance, and these mountains for them could have signified the mainland. The Indians in the Caribbean did have a word for the mainland, given in the Lexicograf*a Antillana (Antillean Dictionary, 1931) as babeque and defined as the name that Columbus understood the Indians to say when they were pointing to a land beyond Haiti and Cuba. Las Casas believed for a while that this must be Jamaica, but later decided it was the name for the mainland. Other historians have considered it the name the Caribs used for the mainland...."

www.amaruca.com

If you study the cosmology of the plummed/feathered serpent in Peru and Kamit (as well as contemporary Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa)) you'll find that they are dealing with the same Creative Power. Ra is symbolized as the coiled serpent with His tail in His mouth. (The same as Da in Ewe Vodoun). Ra is symbolized with plumes (feathers) only when merged with Amen. The peculiar tall plumes/feathers are symbols which distinguish Amen from other Deities. As Amen Ra we have not just the serpent, but the plummed serpent. Again, another definition of the word "west" in Kamit is Amen.t Moreover, sometimes Ra is spelled "Ru" when written with the metut/symbol of a couched lion. This is how Amenra becomes Amenru, Ameru or Amaru. Ka (Qa) meaning "high land; mountain; exalted land" etc. is identical in Kamit and Peru. Remember, we were in America thousands of years before the "asian"-type "native" american arrived here.

The Ka of Ameru (Land/high land of the plummed Creator-serpent) means exactly the same thing in Peru and Kamit without any alteration.

The region of Kamit depicted on the papyrus of Khensumes in the attachment is the region of Khemennu (called Hermopolis). The city of the "Eight". This is where the sacred mound (Ka/Qa and Kait/Qat) of Afu Ra and Afu Rait first emerged from the Ocean. Just as the Yoruba call "oke ara" the hill/mountain (oke) where the Orishas (Deities) first descended at the creation of the world, so is the Ka/Kait (Qa/Qat) defined as the divine land/hill upon which the God of Creation first stood. Eventually, more of the ocean floor would emerge from underneath the ocean and we then had one great landmass known in english as "pangaea". This great landmass would eventually separate into the various continents we have today.

Yet, the heart continent (literally and figuratively) is the continent which contains the sacred mound. It is the Divine Land. It is so for us not only because of its role as the origin of Earth's first surface landmass, but secondly because it is in Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) where the Deities again descended to ritually possess our Ancestresses and Ancestors for the first time through song, dance, meditation, etc. The Deities made it clear and continue to make it clear that Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) is the heartland and Divine Land. Anyone of us (Afurakanu/Afuraitkaitnut (Africans)) who engages the ritual practices of Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) will learn this quite quickly.

The energy of Afuraka/Afuraitkait (Africa) is different from any other place on Earth, and the most powerful and ancient Divinities have their most ancient shrines (groves; rivers, etc.) there. These are the parent shrines from which all other shrines which we have carried to different parts of the world were/are born.

Originally, the name referred to the mound and its surrounding regions (shown in the papyrus). Eventually, the continent would be referred to as such. The greek and roman and berber names are corruptions of this.

The majority of indigenous names of cities, regions, etc. from Kamit were corrupted by the greeks, romans and arabs, and continue to be used. An example of this is the ancient city of the Deity Men (Min-Amen) called Gebtu, which was corrupted into Gebtus, Kebtus and Coptos. The europeans can't comprehend the sacredness of the name Gebtu because they can't relate to the God Men (Min). Yet, they still use the corrupt name Coptos, and have done so for over 2,000 years. Many egyptologists still use it. The same goes for the masculine Afuraka (Africa).

We must study our cosmology and languages (those of Kamit and Keneset/Nubia and their contemporary derivatives: Akan, Yoruba, Ewe, Igbo, etc.) to learn the truth about our culture and protocol (including naming). We should not rely on comparatively recent writings/literature (past 2,500 years)produced by the greeks, romans and berbers--all of whom had limited knowledge of our culture.

Ra Nehem
      Yeda wo ase, Ra Nehem, woatwere adee yie pa ara!

Thanks for the informative post Ra Nehem!

Stay BlackNificent!

AK

Thumbs Up/Down

Mikyia wo Akyeame Kwame,

Meda ase for your comments, and all of your informative posts.

Ma asomdwoee-Hetep,
      Ra Nehem

www.odwirafo.com

RecoveringAA is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Thumbs up

www.amaruca.com

Ra Nehem
      BlaCkniFicEnT information!

Akpe Kaka for sharing

and...

for allowing me to share

In Love of Afrikans home and abroad

Thumbs Up/Down

Mikyia wo Akyeame Kwame,

Meda ase for your comments, and all of your informative posts.

Ma asomdwoee-Hetep,
      Ra Nehem
      anything for the BlackNificent, Ra Nehem!!!

AK

Thread Information