Our American criminal justice system is plagued by many other problems. These problems likely contribute to innocent people being convicted and guilty ones remaining free to commit more crimes. To date, 15 innocent people have been wrongfully convicted in Dallas, Texas and later exonerated through DNA evidence. Because of the now well-known problems at the Houston Police Department crime lab, which erroneously analyzed and presented the DNA evidence used to convict
When miscarriages of justice like these occur, we must have a mechanism for investigating and addressing their root causes. When we study our criminal justice system in Texas and take necessary measures to improve the quality of justice administered, we not only reduce the chances of convicting the innocent, we increase the chances of convicting the guilty. We also show the World that our justice system is strong enough and has the decency to recognize and repair its own mistakes, which is the chart eristic of a country that has bestowed upon itself the title “Beacon of Democracy”.
In the Texas justice system, and especially in Dallas County, there are many examples of the fundamental unfairness, class discrimination, blatant racism, police, judicial and prosecutorial misconduct and repeated human/civil rights violations that take place daily. No better example of this is the arrest, indictments and prosecution of Lakeith Amir-Sharif on charges that lack a factual basis and are based solely on sloppy police and prosecution investigations, and the knowingly perjured testimony of a angry, vindictive, and heart broken ex-girlfriend named Cathy Jonette Hawkins. A casual review of the circumstances of Mr. Amir-Sharif's cases will leave you wondering why has the Dallas D.A.'s continued to prosecute this innocent man; and at the expense of wasting over two hundred fifty thousand dollars to date, ($250,000.00). This ill-conceived and malicious prosecution illustrates for the world why Texas and the U.S. justice system is in the crisis that it is. The case of Mr. Amir-Sharif is 101' study of American Injustice at it's best.
Lakeith Amir-Sharif is "INNOCENT" and Dallas District Attorney Craig Watkins and others are well aware of this fact but have turned a blind eye and deaf ear to the people's call for justice for Mr. Amir-Sharif.
We the friends and family are taking this situation to the people in hopes that by doing so others will be inspired to stand up for their rights and confront such injustices. We hope that no other person in Texas or elsewhere ever have to experience the pains and indignities of injustice as we have because Amir-Sharif goes through we also share in his suffering.
"FREE LAKEITH AMIR-SHARIF" "FREE LAKEITH AMIR-SHARIF" "FREE LAKEITH AMIR-
GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT
State of Texas v. Lakeith Amir-Sharif
F0525061, F0559639, F0600180,MA0521971,MA0425257
This is an update to the people of Texas, especially the taxpayers and to all the people around the world, about the Dallas County Texas justice system and the case of Lakeith Amir-Sharif (“Sharif“) who is currently awaiting trials April 21, 2008 on trumped up charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, to wit: a car, and stalking; the latter charge is 3 year old and has not been reset for trial as of this date due to the fact the indictment obtained by the racist and corrupt administration of former D.A. Bill Hill is unlawful and statutorily invalid because the requisites for charging Sharif with Stalking don‘t exist. Newly-elected District Attorney Craig Watkins has been made aware of all of these facts prior to and since his election, but nothing has been done to uphold the law and U.S. Constitution by ending this miscarriage of justice, and thus prevent another innocent man from being railroaded to prison like so many others have been done.
These charges against Sharif lack a lawful or factual foundation because they’re based on lies, revenge, police, prosecution and judicial misconduct, yet with the complicity of various other court officials, local and state politicians (many of whom are defendants in federal civil right lawsuits filed by “Sharif” about the horrible conditions and treatment of prisoners while he was in the Dallas County jail for 16 ½ months) the Dallas County DA’s Office, headed by Craig Watkins, the first African-American elected to this position, continues to pursue this unjust and baseless prosecution at a cost to taxpayers that now exceeds a quarter of a million dollars ($250,000.00), and counting.
It is becoming more and more obvious with each passing day that Sharif’s indictments and prosecution has nothing whatsoever to do with him supposedly having broken the law, but rather he is being persecuted for engaging in constitutionally protected activities (e.g. his free speech found on Making The Walls Transparent and numerous other web sites & blogs, plus his federal civil right lawsuits that have helped to expose and challenge the injustices taking place behind-the-scene at the Frank Crowley Courthouse, the County Commissioners Office, the Dallas Sheriff’s Department, and the Dallas County Jail).
Few, if any, Texas media outlets or elected leaders in Dallas County or the Texas State Legislatures in Austin, have not heard about the cases of Sharif and the wasteful spending of taxpayers money, the unethical acts and abuses of power by the judges, police, and others involved in order to carry out this travesty of justice, yet none of them to date, have had the courage nor decency to take a principled stance in the name of truth and justice and demand answers and an end to this miscarriage of justice.
To find many of the answers as to why there was a Fake Drug Scandal in Dallas, and why 15 recently exonerated citizens were railroaded to prison, and why 400 plus others imprisoned citizens from Dallas County alone are claiming they were wrongful convicted and that DNA testing will prove their innocence, you need to look no further than the case of Lakeith Amir-Sharif and the many things MTWT, Justice Watch, Prison Legal News (PLN) and others have pointed out to the world via MTWT’s website and other sources. Today, the wrongfully accused is Sharif, but tomorrow it could be you, or someone you know or care about.
UNANSWERED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE INDICTMENTS & PROSECUTION OF LAKEITH AMIR-SHARIF (SHARIF):
1. Thus far the prosecution of Lakeith Amir-Sharif has cost taxpayers over two hundred fifty thousand dollars ($250,000.00). Why? This is not a murder case.
2.The alleged victim/witness, Cathy Jonette Hawkins is a vindictive, and heartbroken ex-girlfriend who has committed perjury in her three criminal complaint affidavits, filed Nov. 23, 2004; Feb. 10, 2005 and Sept. 01, 2005. This same individual has given contradictory and inconsistent testimony about the alleged crimes. The DA's office has ignored all of this, why?
3.Police officers from the Farmers Branch Police Department committed perjury in their affidavits presented to the magistrate judge to obtain an arrest warrant for the alleged Stalking charge. in those affidavits the officers falsely claimed on numerous occasions that they had responded to calls to Ms. Hawkins place of employment and home regarding criminal acts perpetuated by Sharif.
There is "NO" police report on file that shows the Farmers Branch Police responded to Ms. Hawkins home, and only two reports can be found that they responded to her job. Only one of the dates given in their affidavits match the numerous dates given to they alleged when seeking the arrest warrant.
4. The Stalking charge is "statutorily invalid" and was known to be so by the Bill Hill administration when it was presented to the Grand Jury. The Texas Penal Code at sec. 42.07 requires two (2) reported incidents of stalking, yet there is "NO" two police report of stalking on file with either the Dallas or farmers Branch Police Departments. Why, was this charge ever processed and why are tax dollars still being used to prosecute this case?
5. For 16 1/2 months while Sharif sat in the Dallas County Jail, he was court-appointed two different attorneys and neither of these attorneys filed any motions on Sharif's behalf. These court-appointed attorneys also "NEVER":
a. Conducted any investigations, to prepare a defense.
b. Requested any subpoenas to obtain security footage available that could of proven that Sharif was not anywhere in the area at the time alleged in the Stalking complaint.
c. Requested any subpoenas to obtain telephone records, pawn store receipts, and other financial statements of the victim and Sharif, which would of discredited Ms. Hawkins claims that she had broken off her relationship and she was not intimately involved with Sharif after mid 2004 and all of 2005. Why hasn't the DA's office verified this?
5. Ms. Hawkins wrote a letter stating Sharif is "innocent". Why, has the judges, the DA's and even Sharif's court-appointed attorneys suppressed this evidence? Why hasn't a handwriting expert been sought if the letters authenticity is in question? Why hasn't Ms. Hawkins herself been questioned about this letter if truth and justice is what these proceeding are actually about?
6. Sharif has been denied his Constitutional right to a speedy trial on a 2004 misdemeanor charge involving Ms. Hawkins. Why despite numerous request from Sharif has the judges and his court-appointed attorneys refused to grant him his day in court on this charge? He has more than enough time served, so why is the DA's office wasting tax dollars by prosecuting it?
7. Sharif was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon(to wit: a car) causing serious bodily injury. First, the alleged victim Ms. Hawkins suffered "NO" injuries, repeat "NO" injuries. Next, Ms. Hawkins ran into Sharif with her car knocking him onto her hood and causing Sharif to have to be hospitalized. Why wasn't Ms. Hawkins charged by the DA's office for this crime. After Ms.Hawkins assaulted Sharif, she alleges that Sharif hit her cars rear end when she abruptly slammed on brakes to avoid striking the exit gate at their apartment complex. Why is Sharif charged with a criminal offense?
8. Why is D.A. Craig Watkins staff being allowed to prosecute Sharif, when it is well known that D.A. Watkins’ Office is the defendant in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed by Sharif regarding cover-ups of wrongdoing by Sheriff deputies and assistant district attorneys assigned to the Public Integrity Unit and Internal Affairs Office. Isn’t this a conflict of interest on the part of D.A. Craig Watkins? Yes, and if not it still smells bad for him or his staff to be in charge of prosecuting someone who is suing them in federal court.
There are many more red flags and unethical behind-the-scene activities in the case of Sharif. If we continue to deprive citizens of their legal and Constitutional rights then we will be no better then the Nazi's. The quality of our justice system and the perception that the nation and world has of the State of Texas is too important to tolerate these type of ill-conceived acts by a few overzealous and irresponsible individuals.
Making The Walls Transparent (MTWT) website:
State of Texas v. Lakeith Amir-Sharif
F0525061, F0559639, MA0521971,MA0425257