Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow New Passports Will Have High-Tech Features

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      New Passports Will Have High-Tech Features

By LESLIE MILLER,
      Associated Press WriterTue

The State Department said Tuesday that it's adding two security features to the new electronic passports that it will start issuing in December.

The announcement partially assuaged privacy advocates who feared the technology wouldn't protect travelers from identity theft or from people who aim to harm Americans traveling abroad.

"Is it a step forward? Yes. Is it foolproof? That remains to be proven," said Barry Steinhardt, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union.

As a result of tougher post-Sept. 11 security requirements, all new U.S. passports issued by the end of this year are supposed to have a microchip containing the holders' name, nationality, sex, birth date, place of birth, issuing office and a biometric identifier — a digital photograph.

A tiny antenna embedded in the passport cover will allow remote reading devices to capture the data on the chip. Privacy advocates said anyone with a portable reader could remotely read, or "skim," a passport holder's personal information.

The State Department said its original proposal in February generated 2,335 comments that were overwhelmingly opposed to the technology because of concerns that terrorists could identify and target them as U.S. citizens.

So the new passports' front covers and spines will include an anti-skimming material that blocks the radio waves that could pick up the data.

They also will use Basic Access Control technology, which utilizes a kind of personal identification number that must be touched physically to unlock the data on the chip.

"It will not permit `tracking' of individuals," the State Department said in making the announcement. "It will only permit governmental authorities to know that an individual has arrived at a port of entry, which governmental authorities already know from presentation of nonelectronic passports."

The international standards for "electronic" passports were set by the U.N.-affiliated International Civil Aviation Organization, which has worked on standards for machine-readable passports since 1968. The State Department said Basic Access Control will soon be added to the ICAO standards.

Bill Scannell, a privacy advocate who founded a Web site that generated comments opposing the new passports, said Basic Access Control is an unproven technology that shouldn't be used in an identity document.

"We don't know what can and cannot be done with this technology," Scannell said.

Other countries are also switching to microchipped, biometric passports at the request of the United States. The Patriot Act says visitors from 27 countries whose citizens don't now need visas to visit the United States would have to get electronic passports by next October.

The State Department will test the electronic passports in December with government employees who use official or diplomatic passports for government travel. The U.S. traveling public is expected to start receiving new or replacement electronic passports in early 2006.
      ___

On the Net:

State Department: http://www.state.gov

American Civil Liberties Union: http://www.aclu.org

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051025/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

ShutEmDown is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 0/0

greetings Jahness,

You always always keep us up on the tricks of this govt. I was hit in the face with this same problem when I was going to finally apply for my passport two months ago, i was reading the fine print on the application and saw that and was like oh hell nawl, so i didnt turn it in, becuz i didnt want to just be tracked so easily. Now i have to have a passport so it was a very hard desicion to make. These people want to be in every aspect of our lives. I dont believe for one second this will not also contain a GPS tracking device in it. Man when they said don't recieve the mark of the beast we could have never imagined if we had a cell phone or a passport or drive a GM that would mean you got it .
      P.S. i was thinkin yeah ima take that chip out when i get it then i read down and it said they will be tamper proof, damn.

"and i fixed that mailbox so i know if it been messed with".... Mister The Color Purple

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ShutEmDown
      greetings Jahness,

You always always keep us up on the tricks of this govt. I was hit in the face with this same problem when I was going to finally apply for my passport two months ago, i was reading the fine print on the application and saw that and was like oh hell nawl, so i didnt turn it in, becuz i didnt want to just be tracked so easily. Now i have to have a passport so it was a very hard desicion to make. These people want to be in every aspect of our lives. I dont believe for one second this will not also contain a GPS tracking device in it. Man when they said don't recieve the mark of the beast we could have never imagined if we had a cell phone or a passport or drive a GM that would mean you got it .
      P.S. i was thinkin yeah ima take that chip out when i get it then i read down and it said they will be tamper proof, damn.

"and i fixed that mailbox so i know if it been messed with".... Mister The Color Purple

Greetings ShutEmDown!

Welcome to the discussion. So many people still have no idea what their government is doing, especially to all thse so called legal documents, that they insists we must have if we are to be able to travel and move about freely.

The sad part is we know that they are using these documents to keep tracking us everywehere we go. Now this is where we as a people at times don't have a choice, becasue we need these documents to plain and simply get around in our daily activities.

They will put a gps and all the other things they think they can get away with to make sure they keep tabs on all of us. All iD's for the future will have some sort of GPS device one way or the next. They will never tewll us outright what they will be willing to do. we just have to pay attention to detail and try our best not be be caught off guard.

You are on point, just stay alert and always keep an eye out for them. At times there is nothing we can do until we rid ourselves of our oppressors. This is why we all must be a part of this Revolution to win our freedom. We are all still help captive by the shitstem.

Much appreciation to you for taking the time to share with me.

Peace & Blessings!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Thread Information