Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?

John Blau,
      IDG News Service
      Tue Jan 10, 8:00 AM ET

Opinions vary on how to preserve data on digital storage media, such as optical CDs and DVDs. Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland, has his own view: If you want to avoid having to burn new CDs every few years, use magnetic tapes to store all your pictures, videos and songs for a lifetime.

"Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD," Gerecke says. "There are a few things you can do to extend the life of a burned CD, like keeping the disc in a cool, dark space, but not a whole lot more."

The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data "shifting" on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam.

"Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life span of around two years," Gerecke says. "Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years."

Distinguishing high-quality burnable CDs from low-quality discs is difficult, he says, because few vendors use life span as a selling point.
      Similar Limitations

Hard-drive disks also have their limitations, according to Gerecke. The problem with hard drives, he says, is not so much the disk itself as it is the disk bearing, which has a positioning function similar to a ball bearing. "If the hard drive uses an inexpensive disk bearing, that bearing will wear out faster than a more expensive one," he says. His recommendation: a hard-drive disk with 7200 revolutions per minute.

To overcome the preservation limitations of burnable CDs, Gerecke suggests using magnetic tapes, which, he claims, can have a life span of 30 years to 100 years, depending on their quality. "Even if magnetic tapes are also subject to degradation, they're still the superior storage media," he says.

But he's quick to point out that no storage medium lasts forever and, consequently, consumers and business alike need to have a migration plan to new storage technologies.

"Companies, in particular, need to be constantly looking at new storage technologies and have an archiving strategy that allows them to automatically migrate to new technologies," he says. "Otherwise, they're going to wind up in a dead-end. And for those sitting on terabytes of crucial data, that could be a colossal problem."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/1243...NlYwN5bmNhdA--
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Excellent info, Sister Jahness.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Nefertiti is offline TOO BLACK TOO STRONG!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 5/0

Yeah they do have a short life span, i find that even some of the one's i buy off the street only last so long too! and wont even play in the car cd player.

Mackeyite is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I think this article is an attempt by the industry to push Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technologies. Since most people are able to burn cds and dvds, the industry has lost millions if not billions because of recordable media. The new technology will be much more difficult to crack and burn with. Therefore, it makes sense that since Blu-Ray is debuting this spring, that its time to start downing burnable media. I say, as long as DVDs and CDs are burnable, don't run out and buy the new stuff.

Dr. William Mackey Jr. (R.I.P.)

-A master teacher who truly deserves to be eternally remembered.

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Greetings Raha (my Tech buddy), Nefertiti, & Mackeyite!

Welcome to the discussion. Great seeing everyone.

Raha, happy to know you found the information useful. :o

Sis. Nefertiti, I know exactly what you are speaking about. I am finding the same things are happening to the CD's in the car and the ones my children are using. For some reason the Cd's lately are just losing data or not playing at all in certain players for whatever reason. I am aware of the legitimate technological reasons, but besides that CD's these days seem to be of some inferior quality.

Mackeyite, I also can agree with you. You are correct in your comment of the manufacturers are always trying to push out the old to bring in the new, only to make the consumers heavyly dependent on the new technology, when sometimes it is not necessary and only about money. I too will use the regular Cd's and other media until I have no use for them. I am fully aware of the games the business world try to play on us to get our money. They are trying to implement all types of new technology with different medias to stop the consumers from actually getting full use of the recordable medias. Time will tell soon enough. Someone will always find a way to crack the so called codes, it's always a matter of time.

Much appreciation to all of you for taking the time to share your views on this topic.

Peace & Blessings!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Sierra is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks for the info, Sista Jahness. I have always wondered why some of the cds I burned a while back are not the same quality they used to be, now I know.

Sirius is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I think this article is an attempt by the industry to push Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technologies. Since most people are able to burn cds and dvds, the industry has lost millions if not billions because of recordable media. The new technology will be much more difficult to crack and burn with. Therefore, it makes sense that since Blu-Ray is debuting this spring, that its time to start downing burnable media. I say, as long as DVDs and CDs are burnable, don't run out and buy the new stuff.
      Yep - thass about the size of it...

Reminds me back when CD's were about to be launched and the ritual slaggin of yesterdays tech (vinyl) began. Nothing was wrong with Vinyl till CD's took hold. Having said that - my Jackson Dirty Diana CD is in a bad bad way, got huge holes all over the place - but my older Cameo Word Up! CD is still sounding fresh...

I'd take these 'experts' with a pinch of salt myself. Media has and always will vary in quality. I've been using some re-recordable CD's for over a year - burning and burning again. These in theory should be the worst offenders since they get re-burnt over and again right ?

Magnetic tape is susceptable to heat much more than Cd's since the magnetic pockets that represent data are susceptable to heat - so in those terms they are not the panacea this dude holds them up to be.

Most people are not huge corporates with billions of $$$ worth of assets that need digital storage - so I will be ignoring the article.

Anyone with any sense stores ALL their digital media in a cool dry place...
      out of order will come chaos, but out of chaos will come order...

Mekeda7 is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius
      Anyone with any sense stores ALL their digital media in a cool dry place...
      lol, foreal!!!

E se, for the post sis Jahness!

Adioukrou Queen Mother, Ivory Coast

Learn Afrikan Languages Online:
      http://www.abibtumikasa.com/Akan_Class_Information.php

To Be An Afrikan Woman is to:
      *Be life Affirming
      *Be in partnership with an Afrikan man
      *Be a political organizer
      *Speak for the Ancestors
      *Be An Advocate for Afrika
      *Exert Influence