Exclamation Data stolen on millions of vets

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      To those that may have served....

May 22, 2006, 10:33PM
      Data stolen on millions of vets
      No evidence yet of identity theft, but feds send out warning

By DAVID STOUT and TOM ZELLER JR.
      New York Times

WASHINGTON - Personal electronic data on up to 26.5 million veterans, including their Social Security numbers and birth dates, was stolen from the home of a Department of Veterans Affairs employee who had taken the information without authorization, the agency said on Monday.

The department said that there is no evidence any data has been used illegally, and that whoever stole it during a burglary of the employee's home may be unaware of the nature of the information or how to use it. The stolen data does not include any health records or financial information, the agency said.

But it was immediately clear from the sheer numbers involved, as well as the tone of the department's announcement and the steps it has taken since the theft was uncovered, that the information breach is deeply embarrassing to the agency and will be very costly.

"As a result of this incident, information identifiable with you was potentially exposed to others," R. James Nicholson, the secretary of veterans affairs, wrote in a letter being sent to the veterans who may be affected.

On Monday, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said there was "no reason to believe at this time that the identities of these veterans have been compromised." Gonzales, who spoke after the first meeting of an identity-theft task force established by President Bush on May 10, added that he had directed prosecutors "to exercise zero tolerance" if actual cases of identity theft are traced to loss of the data.

Matt Burns, a Department of Veterans Affairs spokesman, said the data involves veterans who were discharged from 1975 onward and some veterans discharged earlier who had filed a claim with the department.

Burns would not comment on the motive of the employee who took the information home, and what form it was in.

Nicholson described the worker, who has not been identified, as a data analyst.

Congressional sources said that he was a mid-level career employee who lives in Maryland, and that the data was on discs that he planned to use to work on a department project.

Nicholson told CNN that investigators did not think the theft was "a target burglary," adding: "There's a pattern of these kinds of burglaries in this particular neighborhood."

There was no immediate, answer to the most important question: How could a computer-savvy criminal use the information? But Beth Givens, the director of Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a nonprofit consumer-advocacy group in San Diego, said there was reason to be concerned.

"There is no telling what kind of path the data is going to take," she said. The combination of names, Social Security numbers, and dates of birth "means that 26.5 million people could — could — become victims of identity theft," she said.

The Department of Veterans Affairs acknowledged as much as it advised veterans to be "extra vigilant" and to monitor their bank statements, credit card records, and the like.

The stolen information includes the names of some veterans' spouses, as well as the disability ratings of some veterans.

Givens said it is too early to tell how damaging the lapse involving veterans' records will be. But she said millions of veterans and their families will have to monitor their financial records "from here on, to the indefinite future."

Nicholson said the FBI and his department's inspector general's office have begun investigations of the affair. The department is reviewing its procedures for handling personal data, he said.

The breach comes after more than a year of intense debate over the security of private consumer data, kicked off when it was revealed in February 2005, that thieves had duped the world's largest commercial data broker, Choicepoint, into providing them with information on more than 150,000 consumers.

Since then, consumer groups estimate that some 55 million consumer records of various types, including credit card and bank accounts, Social Security numbers, dates of birth, and other information, have been either lost, stolen, or otherwise made vulnerable.

Monday's breach would put the total around 80 million.

Several states passed tough new legislation in the aftermath of the Choicepoint debacle — principally aimed at forcing companies, schools, and other handlers of private data to notify consumers when their information has been compromised. Other laws have been aimed at permitting consumers to freeze their credit to foil would-be thieves, and forcing new security standards on data handlers.

Several pieces of federal legislation are also pending in Congress, but thus far, the interests of the financial services and credit industries — which seek to limit inhibitions on data handling and the penalties for security breaches, have competed with those of consumer advocates, and no consensus on a bill has emerged.
      ~Insert profound statement here~

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Beloved, I am a veteran and I am checking to see if my records are missing.
      I predicted this a year after the war started. I told a friend of mine who just came back from Iraq, and was seeking adminstrative help from me with some militray matters. I told him that I would not be surprise if a lot of medical records got lost because the VA is being bombarded with injured soldiers coming back, and the massive of paper work may take years to get them straight.

Knowning how this government operates, I would not be surprise if it was their own doing, and of course they may make someone an escape goat in it all.

I am not surprsie about this at all.

HILY/A

G-IsIs

Draptomania is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings Sis Queen GIA, hopefully, nothing malicious was intended and things will go smoothly for you and others. I just stand in amazement at times at this inept gub'ment. This is yet another notch on their bedpost of follies

Mekeda7 is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Greetings Queens

Sis Drap, medase pa (thanks much) for posting this. It's ironic, because right before I heard this story on the news I was going to post a comment about identity theft. This story just confirmed the need for me to pose the question:

Do you all think there is a relationship between identity theft and the microchips? Do you think this is a scare set up to justify the need to inject everyone with a metal barcode?

I am not sure if this question is appropriate in this thread, but it has come to my mind.

GIsis A, may your personal records be secured. I do find it ironic that the personal files were illegally taken off the computer by an employee- what was up with that?!

Once again, Medase for the post!

Adioukrou Queen Mother, Ivory Coast

Learn Afrikan Languages Online:
      http://www.abibtumikasa.com/Akan_Class_Information.php

To Be An Afrikan Woman is to:
      *Be life Affirming
      *Be in partnership with an Afrikan man
      *Be a political organizer
      *Speak for the Ancestors
      *Be An Advocate for Afrika
      *Exert Influence
      *Be a Healer
      *Function As Part of a Collective
      *Be a Scientist of the Sacred
      *Be Divine

-Marimba Ani

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Mekeda7
      Greetings Queens

Sis Drap, medase pa (thanks much) for posting this. It's ironic, because right before I heard this story on the news I was going to post a comment about identity theft. This story just confirmed the need for me to pose the question:

Do you all think there is a relationship between identity theft and the microchips? Do you think this is a scare set up to justify the need to inject everyone with a metal barcode?

I am not sure if this question is appropriate in this thread, but it has come to my mind.

GIsis A, may your personal records be secured. I do find it ironic that the peronal files were illegally taken off the computer by an employee- what was up with that?!

Once again, Medase for the post!

Greetings Sis Queen Mekeda
      I thought the SAME THING!!!
      This doesnt add up at all. HOW could someone just waltz out with such info? AND why make it public? A blunder like this could have easily been swept under the rug...
      By all means, start a thread, your BLACKCELLENT question will prolly not get its due attention here

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Draptomania
      Greetings Sis Queen Mekeda
      I thought the SAME THING!!!
      This doesnt add up at all. HOW could someone just waltz out with such info? AND why make it public? A blunder like this could have easily been swept under the rug...
      By all means, start a thread, your BLACKCELLENT question will prolly not get its due attention here

Sis Drap,
      Perhaps you are right, I may need to start a thread on this.

In terms of the person taking the info...it wasn't just someone, it was a yurugu employee. In fact, they showed this yurugu on t.v. admiting that he downloaded the info with the plans of taking it home. This employee spoke about it as if this illegal act was usual behavior for him... My question is, what was he planning on doing with it???

You also make a good point that they could have just covered this up, I am not sure why they made this public, which is why I am asking the question about the link btwn. identity theft and micro chips- im starting to suspect that all these incidences are leading towards an argument, like- "even gov't info isn't completely secure- we need microchips to ensure the security of the american people..."

Once again, appreciate the post.

*Be life Affirming
      *Speak for the Ancestors
      *Exert Influence
      *Be a Healer
      *Be Divine

-Marimba Ani

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Stolen laptop with veterans' data recovered

Stolen laptop with veterans' data recovered

By Vicki Allen
      Thu Jun 29, 9:16 PM ET

A stolen laptop computer containing sensitive information on more than 26 million U.S. military veterans and service members has been recovered and a preliminary review indicated no data was taken, the FBI and Veterans Affairs Department said on Thursday.

The laptop and the external hard drive taken in early May from a VA employee's residence in suburban Washington were recovered, authorities said.

"A preliminary review of the equipment by computer forensic teams has determined that the data base remains intact and has not been accessed since it was stolen," the agencies said in a statement. "A thorough forensic examination is underway, and the results will be shared as soon as possible."

A person whom the FBI did not identify turned the laptop in to the agency's Baltimore office on Wednesday, officials and veterans organizations said.

FBI spokeswoman Michelle Crnkovich said that no charges were filed against that individual, and that she no information on where the laptop was between the time of the theft and when it was turned in.

The theft of the laptop from a VA employee who had brought it to his home in Aspen Hill, Maryland, raised fears that nearly all military personnel were at risk of identity theft. Authorities have said the theft as part of a routine burglary in which other items were taken.

BIPARTISAN BLAST

Lawmakers and veterans' advocates have voiced alarm that the government failed to safeguard the data that included Social Security numbers and disability ratings that could be used in credit card fraud and other crimes.

Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Larry Craig, an Idaho Republican, said "we are all holding our breath now for the FBI forensic analysis which we hope will confirm that the data has not been compromised."

Republicans and Democrats had blasted the administration for allowing the data to be lost and for responding slowly to the theft. Officials have said VA Secretary Jim Nicholson was first told of the May 3 crime on May 16 and only informed the public on May 22, almost three weeks after the theft occurred.

Cost of the theft was piling up for taxpayers. The White House this week asked Congress for $160 million to offer credit monitoring to military personnel worried of possible identity theft.

The VA also was spending millions of dollars to respond to the incident, including setting up a special call center to address veterans' concerns.

Rep. Steve Buyer (news, bio, voting record), an Indiana Republican who chairs the House of Representatives Veterans Committee, said that even though he was heartened by the laptop's recovery, the "history of lenient policies and lack of accountability within VA management must be rectified."

Jim Mueller, commander-in-chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S., said those responsible for the data loss and those who knew about the theft but did not tell Nicholson for 13 days should be held accountable.

"The secretary must act swiftly and decisively if he is to restore America's trust in the VA," Mueller said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060630/...MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Thumbs Up/Down

Medase for the update sis J

What did they do to the guy who illegally removed the info from the building?

It remains fishy. I have also heard about files being stolen at a few universities as well.

*Be life Affirming
      *Speak for the Ancestors
      *Exert Influence
      *Be a Healer
      *Be Divine

-Marimba Ani

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mekeda7
      Medase for the update sis J

It remains fishy. I have also heard about files being stolen at a few universities as well. :lookaroun:

Greetings Sis Mekeda7!

I agree it is fishy. Those kkkrackkkas are the one selling and trading people's personal information to the highest bidder.

This whole idea of identity theft is a joke when the ones reporting the information being stolen are the same ones stealing the info and selling
      it off.

It's all a racket. Putting the fox to guard the henhouse sonner or later will make the eggs disappear and ultimately the chicken too. LOL

Thanks Mekeda7, for taking the time to share.

Peace & Blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness
      Greetings Sis Mekeda7!

I agree it is fishy. Those kkkrackkkas are the one selling and trading people's personal information to the highest bidder.

This whole idea of identity theft is a joke when the ones reporting the information being stolen are the same ones stealing the info and selling
      it off.

It's all a racket. Putting the fox to guard the henhouse sonner or later will make the eggs disappear and ultimately the chicken too. LOL

Thanks Mekeda7, for taking the time to share.

Peace & Blessings!

LOL, very true sis!!!
      And to paraphrase Malcolm, "the chickens will come home to roost!"

*Be life Affirming
      *Speak for the Ancestors
      *Exert Influence
      *Be a Healer
      *Be Divine

-Marimba Ani

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

What in the world is going on???

More veterans at risk of identity theft

Kara Brooks,

June 29, 2006

Indianapolis — A tape containing legal case records for thousands of veterans is missing from an office in the Federal building in downtown Indianapolis.

The news broke Thursday during a Veterans Affairs Committee hearing on Capitol Hill. Representative Steve Buyer blasted the House Veterans Affairs Committee after learning the news. A back up tape containing legal case records for more than 16,500 veterans is missing from the office of Regional Council in Indianapolis. An information security officer discovered the tape was missing on May 5th but Representative Buyer, who's chairman of the Veteran Affairs Committee, just found out.

This development affects thousands of Hoosiers because it violates their privacy. The tape contains names of veterans, their address, social security number and medical records. John Baker, a veteran, says, "It's just unbelievable that this could happen. I mean whoever took this home is taking secured data home. There are so many things people can do with that information."

The Inspector General is now investigating the missing tape matter. Also, the Veteran Affairs Committee says the veterans affected by this are being notified and they will receive credit protection.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Draptomania
      More veterans at risk of identity theft

Kara Brooks,

June 29, 2006

Indianapolis — A tape containing legal case records for thousands of veterans is missing from an office in the Federal building in downtown Indianapolis.

The news broke Thursday during a Veterans Affairs Committee hearing on Capitol Hill. Representative Steve Buyer blasted the House Veterans Affairs Committee after learning the news. A back up tape containing legal case records for more than 16,500 veterans is missing from the office of Regional Council in Indianapolis. An information security officer discovered the tape was missing on May 5th but Representative Buyer, who's chairman of the Veteran Affairs Committee, just found out.

This development affects thousands of Hoosiers because it violates their privacy. The tape contains names of veterans, their address, social security number and medical records. John Baker, a veteran, says, "It's just unbelievable that this could happen. I mean whoever took this home is taking secured data home. There are so many things people can do with that information."

The Inspector General is now investigating the missing tape matter. Also, the Veteran Affairs Committee says the veterans affected by this are being notified and they will receive credit protection.

Greetings Draptomania!

The madness continues. There is some hidden agenda in the works. This is too much happening to fast and dealing with the same issue.

This sounds like some insider job as usual. Someone may have an axe to grind. People just have to be on point and keep a good eye on their private data and all personal information.

Those with credit cards and any type of financial investments or information, had better start ckecking all monthly statements for unusual activities.

Time will tell!

Peace & Blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness
      Greetings Draptomania!

The madness continues. There is some hidden agenda in the works. This is too much happening to fast and dealing with the same issue.

This sounds like some insider job as usual. Someone may have an axe to grind. People just have to be on point and keep a good eye on their private data and all personal information.

Those with credit cards and any type of financial investments or information, had better start ckecking all monthly statements for unusual activities.

Time will tell!

Peace & Blessings!

Greetings Sis' Jahness and Mekeda

Yeah, something aint right My brain is still foggy, I need to revist this when I'm more alert (not that I will have any bright ideas later )

Thread Information