Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      manifestdestiny is offline Administrator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 2/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      This is an interesting conversation, considering the importance of grabbing hold of a economic positions of strength in the technological field. However, sustaining and developing liberated minds in that particular disciple is hard because of the socialization process underlining the education system. Call it an ethnic brain drain. Those that are attracted to that field are targeted immediately by the system to be uprooted and appointed to service the corruptive entity that is capitalism. I think that a liberated mind should gather all that he can and awol.

Blaq Beard is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Insatiable
      That's the problem, Sis. Jahness. How do we convince our great minds to use their intellectual powers for our cause? Do we sell them the romanticism or do we work toward establishing the economic capacity to finance their research and development ambitions?
      Now my question is here HOW do you establish the economic capacity? Do you have any ideas? The idea of establishing startups, such as how Kanwal Rekhi began, is a good one, but you need a support infrastructure to get that off the ground. Mentors, business advisors, financiers, etc, etc. Personally, I like it. Are there any more "non romantic" directions you think we can move in?

Another thing to consider is developing internal assets as oppossed introducing outside elements into the picture. This can as simple (not really) as taking students (preferrably those whose parents are already committed) aside right now, placing under the tuteluge of community members who understand where we need to be going strategically, ensuring that the neccessary resources are available for them to explore and study fully, and getting them into MIT, Tuskeegee, USC Berkely, NCA&T, etc and on to job placement in specific corporations with specific knowledge areas to target as needed. China is doing this as we speak in a very sophisticated manner.

This approach (especially if it was deployed in conjection with a "AU 6th Region Pan Student Union" or a TransAtlantic Pan Afrikan Student Union") would go a long way towards developing the assets that we need to establish a viable industrial and R&D infrastructure inthe near feature by identifying and training key personel immediately.

I also wan to fire a couple of rounds at whatever economic structure in general you are addressing that we are have these folks immersed in. I ask that because at that point you want to be very clear that on what kind of societal structure you wan to have in place. You want a structure where scientists, technicians, and engineers are subsidized to an extent as far as food, shelter, and equipment or are you talkin about mimicking the current paradigm that we see currently in amerikkka and europe?

Lastly, we got to be very realistic when we discussing bringing folks on the outside in. Let's take Dr.s Mae Jemison and Phillip Emeagwali, for instance. Hypothetically, let's say the Alkebu Lan West Regional (work in progress) Space Consortium is preparing for it's first manned mission and is prepared to pay Dr. Jemison to move her research to West Africa and a very reasonable stipend to take on a key leadership role. The infrastructure is in place and all the corruption business has been sorted out years ago. Can we expect Dr. Jemison to give up her american citizenship amd security clearances and pledge alligence to Alkebu Lan? Would she sign on and become an asset to Afrika and only Afrika. Would she submit to debreifing, fillin us in on all the insights and secrets of NASA? These are serious questions that one must consider.

Let's go to Dr. Emeagwali. Let's say we need him to assist in developing a distributed computing/communications grid across the Continent. I have a tendacy to think that he will sign on faster and be a safer asset than a Dr. Jemison. Let's not even consider a Dr. Mark Dean, who's team did some of the research for the Blue Gene Project. You think he will give it all up to compete against all his buds? IBM Fellowship, seat on the Technology Council Board. . . ?

Highly unlikely. We got to remember that the competition we talking (at least i hope "we" are) is not the same type of competition two fortune 500 CEOs are involved in where they will have lunch together, talk about thier families and then deicde how to work to gether to make it seem as though they are competing in order to gain more market share and expand thier operations. What is my point?

Well, it boils down to another question really.

If the goal is the compete, can you really trust these individuals, these great minds" with vested interest in the establishment to "switch governments" as Sammy the Bull said when he turned fed?

I don't think so. It would be much smarter, and more productive, to utilize the innate and boundless genius of our children and young folks (i still consider myself a young folk) to create the new technologies and new paradigms that will take us to a defensible and sustainable position in the world.

Insatiable is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Blaq Beard
      That's good to hear, but i think those of us who are concerned about moving this thing forward should really began to focus on what we can do and not what others are not doing. That merely sets the stage for non constructive critisism, lack of planning, and no movement.
      I, again, have to respectfully disagree with the idea that we should merely focus solely on our plans and intentionalities. While focusing on what we can and, indeed, should be doing, we should also be studying what others are doing and how their decisions and actions affect our people. This is especially true of those claiming to be our leaders.

Concerning the whole india subject, we as afrikans have to look very carefully at the phenomenon and really ask ourselves if that is somethin we want to emulate? For instance, while it is true that the middle class in india is now a huge percentage and the IT infrastructure is being developed, the bottom line is their life blood is still very much, it seems, dependent on fortune 500 companies outsourcing work to them.
      I never said that we should emulate the Indian. I submit that we should study how they've reversed their brain drain. Studying and emulating are not coterminous in any sense.

While there is a bit of validity concerning your statement about Indian dependence on outsourcing, recent trends show an exponential growth in Indian businesses.

Insatiable is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Now my question is here HOW do you establish the economic capacity? Do you have any ideas? The idea of establishing startups, such as how Kanwal Rekhi began, is a good one, but you need a support infrastructure to get that off the ground. Mentors, business advisors, financiers, etc, etc. Personally, I like it. Are there any more "non romantic" directions you think we can move in?
      I like the Rekhi model, too. This may be a bit romantic on my part; however, I've always seen a group-imposed tax system as a means of securing the funds necessary to finance many of these activities. If we look at the Black church, we find a tremendous bastion of Black wealth. If we could get them to coordinate with one another on a nationwide basis, such a system could be implemented. The funds to finance the education of scores of our children in various technological fields could be collected over a period of a few Sundays! Or, these funds could be used to build the attendant technological institutions. I have other ideas, but the tax system seems feasible if the requisite coordination of various Black churches could be achieved.

Another thing to consider is developing internal assets as oppossed introducing outside elements into the picture. This can as simple (not really) as taking students (preferrably those whose parents are already committed) aside right now, placing under the tuteluge of community members who understand where we need to be going strategically, ensuring that the neccessary resources are available for them to explore and study fully, and getting them into MIT, Tuskeegee, USC Berkely, NCA&T, etc and on to job placement in specific corporations with specific knowledge areas to target as needed. China is doing this as we speak in a very sophisticated manner.
      I totally agree with such an approach. China is but one of many nations that has done likewise.

I also wan to fire a couple of rounds at whatever economic structure in general you are addressing that we are have these folks immersed in. I ask that because at that point you want to be very clear that on what kind of societal structure you wan to have in place. You want a structure where scientists, technicians, and engineers are subsidized to an extent as far as food, shelter, and equipment or are you talkin about mimicking the current paradigm that we see currently in amerikkka and europe?
      Indeed, societal structure and, in turn, priorities are also an issue that must be addressed. It would probably be wise to ensure the availability of the basic necessities for the people before pumping such a large amount of money into the technological sector. As an aside, I recently read that global military expenditures are now at or about 1.12 trillion dollars, of which the United States accounts for nearly 48%. The United States could invest so much more in its citizenry if they would only cut back on a fraction of its military spending.

It would be much smarter, and more productive, to utilize the innate and boundless genius of our children and young folks (i still consider myself a young folk) to create the new technologies and new paradigms that will take us to a defensible and sustainable position in the world.
      It would be foolish to expect all of our great minds to jump ship that easily. Some would do so, some would straddle the fence, so to speak, and others would simply stay put, both physically and mentally. To even make them consider such a jump, we would have to provide them a reason, economically, socially, and otherwise, to do so. In the end, and as you put it, it would serve us best to invest in the education of our children to meet these ends.

It's getting late Bro. Blaq Beard. We'll have to continue this later. I've enjoyed it thus far. Keep up the good work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information