Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow What is Net Neutrality?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      What is Net Neutrality?

Chances are you have never heard of net neutrality, a concept that has polarized Americans over the last few months.

Net neutrality is the principle that network operators should treat all traffic on their networks equally, move all traffic on their networks at the same speed, and not discriminate among content or service providers.

In simple terms, it implies that network operators - corporations such as AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon - who own the network infrastructure and the wires that carry Internet traffic, should charge uniform rates for all Internet traffic. They may not throttle, or decline to carry their competitor's traffic. They may not charge Vonage a higher rate for carrying its traffic than they charge Google, simply because Vonage's traffic consists mainly of voice as opposed to Google's traffic, which is mainly data. They may not introduce latency in Vonage's traffic because Vonage is their direct competitor in voice telephony. They may not accelerate Google's traffic at the expense of my web site's traffic, simply because Google may be willing to pay more for the bandwidth than I am.

The principle of neutrality is not new. It is the basis for the Common Carrier laws governing telecommunication for decades. Without neutrality, it would have been impossible for a customer of one telephone company to call a customer of a rival telephone company. Since its inception, the Intenet has worked the same way – you can access Yahoo's site even if Yahoo and you subscribe to rival Internet service providers.

Everybody has been perfectly content with the how the Internet works – everybody except the network operators, that is. The operators have invested billions of dollars in laying cables all across the country and building the Internet super-highway. To recoup their investments, they want the ability to decide price for transporting data packets over their wires. They cite examples of price dichotomy from the brick-and-mortar world. Commercial airlines serve coach class passengers just peanuts and soda, but pamper first class passengers with a four course meal and free liquor. Couriers charge more for next day delivery than what they charge for ground shipping. Cyberspace is no different. Google displays links to paying customer's web sites above links to non-paying web sites. By the same token, ask the network operators, why should Verizon not give preferential treatment to the traffic of customers who are willing to pay more? Why can AT&T not throttle Vonage's traffic if Vonage does not agree to pay a price that AT&T thinks is fair? Why should the likes of Google and Yahoo not pay for the content they are sending across the network?

After considerable lobbying from the networks operators, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted a policy resolution in August 2005 that exempted information services from the common carrier law. In effect, the new policy gave network operators potential control over pricing Internet traffic passing through their pipes. Like any change to status quo, the new policy caused uproar. Proponents of net neutrality denounced it as a setback to equal opportunity and freedom of speech; opponents hailed it as a victory for free market capitalism. Both camps took pot shots at one another, accused each other of myopia, and each predicted doom if the other camp prevailed.

The change has not gone down well with corporations, such as Google, Ebay, Vonage, and Amazon.com. They now face a distinct possibility of coughing up outrageous fees to the network operators. So concerned are the corporations that they have taken the unusual step of taking their grievance to the public. Meg Whitman, eBay's CEO, sent out a million e-mails to drum up support for net neutrality and Eric Schmidt, Google's CEO published this letter asking the public to "take action".

The corporations argue that if Google has to pay Verizon a fee for every search a consumer makes, Google can only absorb the expense to a point and will ultimately be forced to pass it on to consumers. They warn that once the Internet has toll lanes, the operators may not be content charging just corporations; they could charge consumers as well. Internet access subscriptions could become like cable TV subscriptions. Just as your cable operator provides basic cable for $9.95 a month but charges you a premium for HBO, your ISP could come up with plans that provided "basic" Internet access for $14.95 a month. You would then have to add on unlimited buying at Amazon.com for another $2.95 a month, or unlimited Google searching for $4.95 a month.

Most people find the idea of paying for a Google search preposterous. Naturally, consumer organizations have weighed in with the likes of Google and eBay in support of net neutrality. They are afraid that once a content provider subscribes to the toll lanes, its competitors would be forced to follow suit, which would result in higher overall prices for consumers.

Pro-democracy groups have come out swinging in favor of net neutrality too. They argue that the new law will give the network operators total control over content dissemination – network operators could block your blog out, for example, if you wrote nasty things about them. Worse, they could promote the cause of one political party above the other.

Academics and researchers are concerned that the amendment would stifle innovation because new ideas and innovations would have to compete with the financial might of existing businesses - there would be no new Googles and eBays.

n April 2006, a new legislation called the Communications Opportunity, Promotion, and Enhancement Act of 2006 (COPE) was introduced in the House of Representatives. It pretty much toed the line of the FCC policy resolution of August 2005 to grant pricing power to network operators. This was a blow to the proponents of neutrality. They tried to rally support for the principle, and soon, an amendment was proposed to the as-yet-un-enacted COPE to incorporate net neutrality principles into the proposed law. On June 8th 2006, the House of Representatives passed COPE, but the amendment was defeated by a wide margin.

But what does all this have to do with you and me? Should we worry about receiving bills from Google and Yahoo any time soon? The answer, for several reasons, is "not necessarily".

First, the average consumer is quality conscious. He will not stop using his favorite web site or service simply because another site is faster. Similarly, a website is not likely to alienate customers by burdening them with fees if the website ends up paying small additional charges to the network operators.

Second, if the added cost is passed on to the consumers to an extent that online shopping becomes more expensive than a trip to the mall, both AT&T and Amazon.com stand to lose business.

Third, there already is discrimination on the Internet in one form or another. For example, bandwidth pricing on the Internet is already tiered. Do you, by any stretch of imagination, think that Google and I pay proportionate amounts for the bandwidth and connectivity of our respective web sites? Certainly not. My web server is in my basement, connects to the Internet over a DSL connection, and costs me $14.95 a month, including bandwidth charges, to run. Google's servers are probably at a data center that has multiple backbone connectivity and is certified to be safe from a nuclear attack. And I am reasonably certain that Google pays more than $14.95 per server per month for bandwidth and connectivity. Even content is incrementally priced. You can pay Google more, for your ad to be placed more prominently on its pages, and you must subscribe to Wall Street Journal if you want to read it online but reading USA Today online is free.

Fourth, if Google has to pay AT&T, they may come up with workarounds such as ad-supported "fast lanes".

Fifth, although enacted recently, the policy has been in effect since August 2005 and we haven't seen any bills – yet.

Regarding freedom of speech, the network operators are quick to point out that although the policy has been in place since August 2005, they have not blocked anyone out for nefarious reasons, and that the FCC has punitive powers in cases of discrimination. Besides, if a provider does block content you want access to, you are likely to sign up with a competitor, who imposes no such restrictions.

The new law gives the network operators the ability to control access to their pipes. If the operators abuse their power, the FCC has the authority to slap them on the wrist. Whether the FCC will actually do so remains to be seen. The new law gives the network operators pricing power. Whether that translates into a monthly bill for you and me remains to be seen. And how many corporations actually go out of business under the burden of the anticipated expenditure also remains to be seen.

Ultimately, free market forces are likely to decide the cost of Internet access and who bears it. But if everyone except the network operators finds it difficult to cope with COPE, you can expect to see a proposal for a new amendment that seeks to reinstate the proposal for the original amendment!

http://pcmech.com/show/internet/961/
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Runawayslave is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Good stuff brotha. Keep spreading the word. I have a bad feeling
      if the phone and cable companies get what they want, the internet
      will cost $75-100 a month like cable TV
      Use tru lite 2 c rite thru
      all the things them devils do

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Runawayslave
      Good stuff brotha. Keep spreading the word. I have a bad feeling
      if the phone and cable companies get what they want, the internet
      will cost $75-100 a month like cable TV
      Greetings Runawayslave!

I'm a sister :o

Those people at the cable companies have for years been overcharging customers for services that seldom cost as much as the average subscriber pays.

It's all a scam, and they are allowed to get away with it. These price gouging practices will never stop, simply because the people who make the decisions are in the pockets of these major corporations who constantly bribe them to pass laws that the big companies can profit from.

All this is evident by the amount of unnecessary taxes that we pay in additionto our telephone/internet/DSL/Cable/Satellite/Wireless/ and all those modern day form of communication and broadcasting devices we all have grow accustomed to using.

We are already paying $75-$100 by all the hidden charges and fees that these companies apply to the services we all use.

Thank you for taking the time to share!

Peace & Blessings of Afrikan Love!

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

I have heard of net Neutrality and the concept is utterly ludicrous! See the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RQrxkGgCM
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Student
      I have heard of net Neutrality and the concept is utterly ludicrous! See the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RQrxkGgCM
      Greetings Revolutionary_Student!

No matter what is said and done at the end of day, these corporations will find a way to charge for these services.

Don't forget not too long ago internet service providers use to charge by the hour just to surf on dialup. Of course it was a scam, just to rip off the people, when in fact they had the high speed connections already. They always create the market to change and charge for services piecemeal so they can reap as much profits as possible.

Even back in the days when you bought a TV, it came with an Antennae, not that is an accessory you have to by. The same with printers, printers use to come with a print cable now you have to buy one separate whether it is parallel or USB, so they will alwyas find a way to make the consumer pay, that is nothing new.

Thanks for providing the additional information on this topic. I truly appreciate the contribution to the discussion.

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness
      Greetings Revolutionary_Student!

No matter what is said and done at the end of day, these corporations will find a way to charge for these services.

Don't forget not too long ago internet service providers use to charge by the hour just to surf on dialup. Of course it was a scam, just to rip off the people, when in fact they had the high speed connections already. They always create the market to change and charge for services piecemeal so they can reap as much profits as possible.

Even back in the days when you bought a TV, it came with an Antennae, not that is an accessory you have to by. The same with printers, printers use to come with a print cable now you have to buy one separate whether it is parallel or USB, so they will alwyas find a way to make the consumer pay, that is nothing new.

Thanks for providing the additional information on this topic. I truly appreciate the contribution to the discussion.

Peace!
      Capitalism at it's very best!
      We are not citizens of amerikkka. We are victims of amerikkka.

naturallyme is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

wow. this is the first time i'm hearing about this. and it makes my head spin.

manifestdestiny is offline Administrator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 2/0

thanks for the info, and in certain areas the comcast sp is already $60 to $75 once all the ghost charges are justified. However, it doesn't suprise me at all, when it comes to profit capitalism is insatiable

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

Are there any Afrikan owned DSL/Cable ISPs?
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Skou Tour

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Not to my knowledge I do know of a unified effort for an Afrikan channel network

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Afrikan channel network?? Like TV channel?

Quote Originally Posted by manifestdestiny
      Not to my knowledge I do know of a unified effort for an Afrikan channel network
      -Ahmed Skou Tour

-Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Yes, there was a really in Detroit by july 1st prpagating the event. When I attend classes tomorrow I wil grab the flyer to post it

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

I know what you are talking about.... The Africa Channel. I met the brother who setup the station up at a Black Media Ownership panel discussion in ATL last year. They'll had the channel for about 8 months now in ATL. I personally don't like it when I heard about it and when I saw it.

It's basically a... let me show yurugus is a place worth investing in... kind of channel. Too much of the stuff they show are yurugu-ish. I guess some one can get something from it...who knows.
      -Ahmed Skou Tour

-Baba Orunmila

--Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

JrFem is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

-on the africa channel...it looks like mostly south African programming, although this week they are showing Flame, which is about women in the zimbabwe liberation war...but its television - soaps, reality tv, music vj's. But on the surface it looks interesting, but its not offered in my area
      -jennia
      "forward ever"

Runawayslave is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JrFem
      -on the africa channel...it looks like mostly south African programming, although this week they are showing Flame, which is about women in the zimbabwe liberation war...but its television - soaps, reality tv, music vj's. But on the surface it looks interesting, but its not offered in my area

Like any other cable station. You can get it if there is a demand
      for it. As long as no one knows about it, there will never be a demand

And like any other network. You can control what they play IF you
      put an effort into letting them know what you want, If we are gonna
      pay obsorbitant prices for this cable, it should at least be to the
      benefit of those who would turn the TV set on and watch

http://www.theafricachannel.com/
      Use tru lite 2 c rite thru
      all the things them devils do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information