Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Apple addresses security holes, Daylight Saving Time

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Apple addresses security holes, Daylight
      Saving Time

Jason Snell - MacCentral
      Thu Feb 15, 6:53 PM ET

Apple released nine software updates on Thursday that make adjustments for new Daylight Saving Time, address issues during two security researchers’ self-proclaimed “Month of Apple Bugs,” and fix bugs in Final Cut Pro. The fixes are available now via Mac OS X’s built-in Software Update utility.

Daylight Saving Time changes

Five of the updates released Thursday cover new Daylight Saving Time rules put into place for 2007. Beginning in 2007, North American Daylight Saving Time will begin on the second Sunday in March and conclude on the first Sunday in November. Previously, Daylight Saving Time began on the first Sunday in April and concluded on the last Sunday in October.

The current version of Mac OS X was updated to follow those time-change rules as a part of the OS X 10.4.5 update. However, that update did not cover changes in Daylight Saving Time in other regions, including Alberta (Canada), Australia, and Brazil. The new Daylight Saving Time Update (Tiger) adds compatibility with those regions.

In addition, Apple released the Daylight Saving Time Update (Panther), which updates Mac OS X 10.3 systems for all the changes covered in both the 10.4.5 update and the new Tiger update.

Apple also released two Java updates to add compatibility with new Daylight Saving Time rules, one for Mac OS X 10.3 and one for Mac OS X 10.4.

Finally, a WebObjects 5.3.3 Update updates Apple’s WebObjects web-application software to be compatible with the new time guidelines.

Apple has also posted a detailed technical document with more information about Daylight Saving Time changes and how to work around the new rules on older Mac OS versions.

“Month of Apple bugs” fixes

Three of the other Thursday updates involved addressing bugs found by security researcher Kevin Finisterre and hacker “LMH” during their monthlong event aimed at exposing security flaws in Apple products and products that run on Apple systems.

The fixes, labeled Security Update 2007-002, are available in Panther, PowerPC, and Universal versions.

On systems running Tiger, the update addresses a bug in which “a maliciously crafted disk image may lead to an application crash or arbitrary code execution,” according to Apple’s published release notes. Apple credits Finisterre for reporting the bug, which was posted on the Month of Apple Bugs site as “Apple Finder DMG Volume Name Memory Corruption” on January 9.

On systems running Tiger or Panther, the update addresses a Bonjour bug in which “attackers on the local network may be able to cause iChat to crash,” according to Apple. This bug was listed on Month of Apple Bugs as “Apple iChat Bonjour Multiple Denial of Service Vulnerabilities” on January 28. (Macworld is unable to link to the Month of Apple Bugs page regarding this bug, as it contains an image designed specifically to crash Web browsers based on Apple’s WebKit framework.)

On systems running Tiger or Panther, the update addresses a vulnerability in iChat’s AIM URL handler that “may lead to an application crash or arbitrary code execution,” according to Apple. The bug was announced on Month of Apple Bugs as “Apple iChat aim:// URL Handler Format String Vulnerability” on January 20.

Finally, on systems running Tiger or Panther, the update addresses a vulnerability in the UserNotificationCenter process that could potentially grant system privileges to malicious users. This bug was announced on Month of Apple Bugs as “Apple UserNotificationCenter Privilege Escalation Vulnerability” on January 22.

Final Cut Pro 5.1.3

On Thursday Apple also updated Final Cut Pro to version 5.1.3, an update which “provides important bug fixes,” according to Apple. According to Apple’s Final Cut Pro documentation, the update includes fixes to provide compatibility of render files between PowerPC- and Intel-based Macs, returns missing keyboard commands to the default keyboard layout, and fixes a bug involving cross dissolves in a nested sequence containing still images.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/200...a_uUrXxwwRSLMF

Copyright © 2007 Mac Publishing LLC
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

AfroNinpo is offline Media Assassin!

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Thanks, Queen Jahness! I was starting to feel like your stories were biased against Mac users! Or could it be that there are just less problems to report?

LOL

Just playin!

My FCP didn't auto update last night! I'm disappointed. I guess I'll do it manually tonight since I have been having that problem with cross dissolves.

Thanks again!
      Nuk Khapera Heru'ur
      The Greatest Revenge Is MASSIVE Success!

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by AfroNinpo View Post
      Thanks, Queen Jahness! I was starting to feel like your stories were biased against Mac users! Or could it be that there are just less problems to report?

LOL

Just playin!

My FCP didn't auto update last night! I'm disappointed. I guess I'll do it manually tonight since I have been having that problem with cross dissolves.

Thanks again!
      Greetings AfroNinpo!

You know I was having that same feeling too... LOL

And yes to be honest there are fewer errors to report.

But I had to come out and show the love I have for the
      MAD MACers, just the same...LOL

Peace!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Thread Information