Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Thinking of Upgrading to Windows Vista?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Thinking of Upgrading to Windows Vista?

With the recent release of Windows Vista, you might be itching to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I personally have not tried it as I prefer to wait until the first service pack is released, however upgrading certainly is intriguing.

Before you rush out to buy a copy, make sure you take a look at the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx.

This page has a downloadable tool which analyzes your system to see if it is capable of running Vista. Keep in mind this tool is going to test against optimal/recommended system requirements, but considering you will be loading your own programs, the Upgrade Advisor is a good measure.

As always, before you upgrade your OS, do your homework and make sure a new system isn’t a better (and cheaper)alternative.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness View Post
      Thinking of Upgrading to Windows Vista?

With the recent release of Windows Vista, you might be itching to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I personally have not tried it as I prefer to wait until the first service pack is released, however upgrading certainly is intriguing.

Before you rush out to buy a copy, make sure you take a look at the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx.

This page has a downloadable tool which analyzes your system to see if it is capable of running Vista. Keep in mind this tool is going to test against optimal/recommended system requirements, but considering you will be loading your own programs, the Upgrade Advisor is a good measure.

As always, before you upgrade your OS, do your homework and make sure a new system isn’t a better (and cheaper)alternative.

I've seen it and to me it's nothing really special it looks nice but it just that it "looks" good I'm not sure whats new about it other than the display......Thats from what I've seen it do.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Also it's good to note that most of the programs out there on the market right now don't even have Vista support yet.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 4/0

Here's the current wiki scoop

Windows Vista is the latest release of Microsoft Windows, a line of graphical operating systems used on personal computers, including home and business desktops, notebook computers, Tablet PCs, and media centers. Prior to its announcement on July 22, 2005, Windows Vista was known by its codename "Longhorn".[1] Development was completed on November 8, 2006; over the following three months it was released in stages to computer hardware and software manufacturers, business customers, and retail channels. On January 30, 2007, it was released worldwide to the general public,[2] and was made available for purchase and downloading from Microsoft's web site.[3] The release of Windows Vista comes more than five years after the introduction of its predecessor, Windows XP, making it the longest time span between two releases of Windows versions.

Windows Vista contains hundreds of new features; some of the most significant include an updated graphical user interface (GUI) and visual style dubbed Windows Aero, improved searching features, new multimedia creation tools such as Windows DVD Maker, and completely redesigned networking, audio, print, and display sub-systems. Vista also aims to increase the level of communication between machines on a home network using peer-to-peer technology, making it easier to share files and digital media between computers and devices. For developers, Vista includes version 3.0 of the .NET Framework, which aims to make it significantly easier for developers to write high-quality applications than with the traditional Windows API.

Microsoft's primary stated objective with Windows Vista, however, has been to improve the state of security in the Windows operating system.[4] One common criticism of Windows XP and its predecessors has been their commonly exploited security vulnerabilities and overall susceptibility to malware, viruses and buffer overflows. In light of this, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates announced in early 2002 a company-wide 'Trustworthy Computing initiative' which aims to incorporate security work into every aspect of software development at the company. Microsoft stated that it prioritized improving the security of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 above finishing Windows Vista, thus delaying production.[5]

During the course of its development, Windows Vista has been the target of a number of negative assessments by various groups. Criticism of Windows Vista has included protracted development time, more restrictive licensing terms, the inclusion of a number of new Digital Rights Management technologies aimed at restricting the copying of protected digital media, and the other new features such as User Account Control.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

For the other side of the story i used PC World
      Is Vista Right for You?
      Bass's take on Vista, help deciding about the Vista upgrade, and three diabolical games.

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Greetings JABOOM, Raha & RBG Street Scholar!

Welcome to the discussion!

JABOOM, that is Microsoft way of doing things. Everything looks good on the surface. By the time you really get into using their products, you surely will get your fair share of headaches. LOL

Raha, good point indeed. Not only do most programs don't have Vista support, but a lot of companies cannot even afford to upgrade most of the business systems to vista as yet, so we will see how that plays out in the future.

RBG Street Scholar, the history behind Vista is a long one. As a matter of fact most people thought the codename "longhorn" would have been the actual name of the product itself. As usual Microsoft tries to takes us in circles whenever they want to create the hype over their new products as is done by other companies as well.

Their main goal is to get our money by any means necessary, while the product ends up being marginal at best. After we inturn put our time and money into trying to get resolved all the so called user related problems with the product. The bells and whistles always makes noise.

I personally usually wait a while before spending money on these products. Now being in the Technology field I will try the products eventually, but I never put out my own money trying to but the product unless I am sure I can get some decent usuage out of it.

The version changes in software these days have to be approched with much caution especially if users are buying the products. Beta versions are usually available for trial so that is an option. Make sure systems are backed up especially if you only have one computer, because Beta versions of software have a lot of unresolved bugs in them.

Much appreciation to everyone for your valuable comments on this topic.

Peace!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Thread Information