Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow U.S. CERT Warns Of RealPlayer Exploit

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      U.S. CERT Warns Of RealPlayer Exploit

By Stefanie Hoffman,
      CMP Channel

The U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team issued a warning regarding a reported exploit located in RealPlayer after a Russian security company detected a flaw in the multimedia application.

The US-CERT, the operational arm of the National Cyber Security Division at the Department of Homeland Security, first published its warning Wednesday.

The warning came a day after Evageny Legerov, chief technology officer at the Russian security company Gleg, released its findings on the RealPlayer stack overflow vulnerability, which the company claims was detected during a plain source code audit. The exploit was written and published to the company's VulnDisco SA Program on Dec. 16, 2007.

The recently detected vulnerability affects the latest version 11 of RealPlayer, a comprehensive multimedia software program, running on Windows XP according to Gleg. The security company posted a Flash demonstration of the error on its Web site, but so far has not released any technical details of the flaw.

Security researchers say that RealPlayer is a complex application with a history of errors. "It has had a lot of vulnerabilities in the past and will have a lot in the future," a Gleg spokesperson said via e-mail.

If exploited, the vulnerability could be used by attackers to either completely shut down or take control of an affected machine or network. So far, there are no reports of the exploit being loose and in the wild, security experts say.

RealPlayer representatives say they do not yet know what part of the program the vulnerability affects. The company also asserts that so far Gleg has not submitted any code or files for the company to test.

"Right now we're waiting to hear back from them to see what they will do," a RealPlayer spokesperson said. "As of this moment, nobody has seen the code."

Security experts say that individuals will still be able to use RealPlayer as before, but recommend that they install updated antivirus software, firewall and buffer overflow protection.

(URL: http://www.crn.com/security/20520889...showPoll.jhtml)

U.S. CERT did not immediately respond to calls from CRN.
      Copyright 2006 CMP Media LLC.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Sun Ship is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 0/0

This is why files associated to Windows Media Player and RealPlayer should be played in alternative and third party players. For these two players have been always exploitive as they are constantly trying to go online in the background when not in use, or go online when you open them in an attempt to sell you product.

Since I rarely use either format, I sometimes have used both when I have wanted to quickly view a rm or wmv-wma file, and some of the other extensions usually associated with these very commercialized apps, but I try to remind myself to avoid both in most cases.

Remember... there is no spoon...

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Greetings SunShip!

Welcome to the discussion. I agree with you on this issue wholeheartedly. Realplayer to me is like enemy #1. Like you said it is always trying to go online for one reason or another. It's one of those apps I also use very cautiously and only when I am really can't be bothered to go and download some of the other alternative media players, since I use couple of different computers.

My tech savy computer... code word for tweaked to the max.. LOL, the one I have customized for me that no one else can make sense of cuz I have things set a certain way with all the apps and how I want them to function is the one i make sure that realplayer especially is not on.

Sometimes we can't avoid using these software that are so full of exploits, but the most important thing is to be informed and protect yourself as much as you can. Bottom line the companies who makes these apps make them for their ultimate benefit, not necessarily ours.

Medase for your continued valuable support.

Peace & Blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Ship View Post
      This is why files associated to Windows Media Player and RealPlayer should be played in alternative and third party players. For these two players have been always exploitive as they are constantly trying to go online in the background when not in use, or go online when you open them in an attempt to sell you product.

Since I rarely use either format, I sometimes have used both when I have wanted to quickly view a rm or wmv-wma file, and some of the other extensions usually associated with these very commercialized apps, but I try to remind myself to avoid both in most cases.

Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Sun Ship is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness View Post
      Greetings SunShip!
      Medase for your continued valuable support.

Peace & Blessings!
      Blessed Sister Jahness no, let me THANK YOU for your continued concern!

Believe me, your contributions are many here, and though I don’t get to read every thread you contribute and surely haven’t responded to as many as I should have, you have been definitely adding a lot of important information that needs to be absorbed by this community and taken very seriously.

One of my biggest issues with our people and especially the so-called progressive front, is that we are still too many times mere end-users and consumers, being more exploited by technology, than we are exploiting it for our own purposes, let alone having the knowledge of how to protect or free ourselves within or from this “techno-bubble”, i.e., the Matrix. I direct this complaint at even myself, for though I have become quite "techno-savvy" on one level, I still find myself not always utilizing, or paying close attention to many things I have become aware of over the years.

The PC and computer technology is like a double-edged sword, it is one of the most dangerous and controlling tools of those in power, especially when coupled with the internet, but at the same time, it has brought a degree of discovery and freedom to those who can use this tool effectively along with the web in ways that have never before been realized in the modern world.

If our people ever become fully awaken to the true power of this tool (the PC), or technology in general, we would find some interesting and most useful avenues toward being liberated, but at the same if we live with and use this tool in the darkest of ignorance and complacency it could be our worst nemesis. As a matter of fact, just taking technology for granted, as in letting others keep a centralized control over it can be even more dangerous.

Remember... there is no spoon...

OmowaleX is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Brother Sun Ship

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Ship View Post

Thanks for posting this.

I had 2 computers crash after either updating Windows Media Player or Realplayer 11. I saved one PC by changing operating system to Windows Vista, and use realplayer to down load videos from you tube. The advantage of realplayer is that if automatically converts wma to mp3.

However, my laptop crashed totally and both players created problems with my drivers and ultimately crashed my hard disk. One more thing is that some media files that I backed up to dvd or cd wont play on 3rd party players.
      Dare to Struggle. Dare to Win. A Luta Continua!

Thread Information