Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Results 1 to 14 of 14
    1. #1
      Jahness's Avatar
      Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      In amerikkka! Stolen from Afrika!
      Posts
      6,827
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0
      Rep Power
      616

      Arrow 'Mac people' more open, liberal than PC users


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      'Mac people' more open, liberal than PC users

      Elizabeth Montalbano

      People who prefer Apple's Macintosh computers over PCs have long been considered to be on the artsy, hip end of the personality spectrum -- and now a study proves that "Mac people" indeed are more liberal and open-minded than average folks.

      According to Mindset Media, people who purchase Macs fall into what the branding company calls the "Openness 5" personality category -- which means they are more liberal, less modest, and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large. Mindset Media helps companies with strong brands develop ads targeted to people based on personality traits or people's "mindsets," and does research to that effect.

      So-called Openness 5 types tend to seek rich, varied, and novel experiences, according to the company, and believe that imagination and intellectual curiosity are as important to life as more rational or pragmatic endeavors. They also are receptive to their own inner feelings and may experience life with more emotional intensity.

      The company uses Nielsen Online's panel for the Mac mindset study, the results of which are based on responses from 7,500 participants.

      It's no great secret that Macs have always been popular with creative types -- the computers have been the mainstay of creative agencies and video- and sound-editing houses for years. This probably has as much to do with the fact that Apple and partners have delivered popular software for graphic and multimedia designers and artists as it does with the contemporary industrial design Macs have long reflected.

      Mac users are quick to agree there is definitely a mindset among their kind of people and aren't offended by a company profiling them according to their enthusiasm for Apple computers.

      MacBook Pro user Reatha Braxton said much of the Mac mindset stems from how Apple has projected the image of its products through advertising -- natch, as she runs her own New York-based media planning and buying agency, Braxton Strategic Group.

      "The whole [Mac] package -- the advertising, the design, the whole image of that is creativity," she said. Braxton, who has been in the advertising business for more than 20 years, said Macs were almost exclusively used in ad agencies, from the people designing the ads to top executives like "the CFO to the CEO."

      As for the idea that Mac users possess an air of superiority, Braxton was less inclined to agree. She said that Macs actually have a pragmatic draw for their faithful because "most people who use Macs will tell you they are smarter machines than PCs, and they want to take advantage of that."

      Still, Braxton did acknowledge that the idea of using the PC "alternative" has an element of cool factor that lures creative types to use Macs over more run-of-the-mill PCs. "It's cooler not to be a lemming," she said.

      Igor Berstein, a computer programmer for a Web-based startup in New York, also agreed there is a Mac mindset, but he doesn't think he necessarily fits into it. He started using his MacBook Pro because, with the Unix base of the OS starting with Mac OS X, it was more convenient for him as a Linux user than a PC was.

      But "since Apple thinks a lot about aesthetics, style-oriented people go for [Macs]," Berstein said. Macs also are more expensive than PCs, so people in the middle-class or upper-class who have accumulated a certain amount of wealth are mostly likely the people who can afford them, he said.

      Berstein also noted that people who care more about brands are also more likely to purchase Macs over PCs. While the term "PC" refers to a computer architecture tied to more than one vendor, Macs are a subbrand tied to the strong Apple brand -- which to some is a catalyst for purchasing a Mac in and of itself, he said.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...y6bJnHALsxVrIF

      Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

      ***************************************
      The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.


      If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!


      Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

      Working together, the ants ate the elephant.


    2. #2
      rebelAfrika's Avatar
      rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Conakry, Guinea
      Posts
      5,324
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      498

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahness View Post
      'Mac people' more open, liberal than PC users

      Elizabeth Montalbano

      People who prefer Apple's Macintosh computers over PCs have long been considered to be on the artsy, hip end of the personality spectrum -- and now a study proves that "Mac people" indeed are more liberal and open-minded than average folks.

      According to Mindset Media, people who purchase Macs fall into what the branding company calls the "Openness 5" personality category -- which means they are more liberal, less modest, and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large. Mindset Media helps companies with strong brands develop ads targeted to people based on personality traits or people's "mindsets," and does research to that effect.

      So-called Openness 5 types tend to seek rich, varied, and novel experiences, according to the company, and believe that imagination and intellectual curiosity are as important to life as more rational or pragmatic endeavors. They also are receptive to their own inner feelings and may experience life with more emotional intensity.

      The company uses Nielsen Online's panel for the Mac mindset study, the results of which are based on responses from 7,500 participants.

      It's no great secret that Macs have always been popular with creative types -- the computers have been the mainstay of creative agencies and video- and sound-editing houses for years. This probably has as much to do with the fact that Apple and partners have delivered popular software for graphic and multimedia designers and artists as it does with the contemporary industrial design Macs have long reflected.

      Mac users are quick to agree there is definitely a mindset among their kind of people and aren't offended by a company profiling them according to their enthusiasm for Apple computers.

      MacBook Pro user Reatha Braxton said much of the Mac mindset stems from how Apple has projected the image of its products through advertising -- natch, as she runs her own New York-based media planning and buying agency, Braxton Strategic Group.

      "The whole [Mac] package -- the advertising, the design, the whole image of that is creativity," she said. Braxton, who has been in the advertising business for more than 20 years, said Macs were almost exclusively used in ad agencies, from the people designing the ads to top executives like "the CFO to the CEO."

      As for the idea that Mac users possess an air of superiority, Braxton was less inclined to agree. She said that Macs actually have a pragmatic draw for their faithful because "most people who use Macs will tell you they are smarter machines than PCs, and they want to take advantage of that."

      Still, Braxton did acknowledge that the idea of using the PC "alternative" has an element of cool factor that lures creative types to use Macs over more run-of-the-mill PCs. "It's cooler not to be a lemming," she said.

      Igor Berstein, a computer programmer for a Web-based startup in New York, also agreed there is a Mac mindset, but he doesn't think he necessarily fits into it. He started using his MacBook Pro because, with the Unix base of the OS starting with Mac OS X, it was more convenient for him as a Linux user than a PC was.

      But "since Apple thinks a lot about aesthetics, style-oriented people go for [Macs]," Berstein said. Macs also are more expensive than PCs, so people in the middle-class or upper-class who have accumulated a certain amount of wealth are mostly likely the people who can afford them, he said.

      Berstein also noted that people who care more about brands are also more likely to purchase Macs over PCs. While the term "PC" refers to a computer architecture tied to more than one vendor, Macs are a subbrand tied to the strong Apple brand -- which to some is a catalyst for purchasing a Mac in and of itself, he said.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...y6bJnHALsxVrIF

      Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
      You know what? I know this is gonna sound "fake" but I've had the same feeling about Mac users VS. PC user for along time now. It was always just a "feeling" though...nothing I ever imagined trying verify.

    3. #3
      rebelAfrika's Avatar
      rebelAfrika is offline Pan-Africanism or Perish!

      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Location
      Conakry, Guinea
      Posts
      5,324
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      498

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahness View Post
      'Mac people' more open, liberal than PC users

      Elizabeth Montalbano

      People who prefer Apple's Macintosh computers over PCs have long been considered to be on the artsy, hip end of the personality spectrum -- and now a study proves that "Mac people" indeed are more liberal and open-minded than average folks.

      According to Mindset Media, people who purchase Macs fall into what the branding company calls the "Openness 5" personality category -- which means they are more liberal, less modest, and more assured of their own superiority than the population at large. Mindset Media helps companies with strong brands develop ads targeted to people based on personality traits or people's "mindsets," and does research to that effect.

      So-called Openness 5 types tend to seek rich, varied, and novel experiences, according to the company, and believe that imagination and intellectual curiosity are as important to life as more rational or pragmatic endeavors. They also are receptive to their own inner feelings and may experience life with more emotional intensity.

      The company uses Nielsen Online's panel for the Mac mindset study, the results of which are based on responses from 7,500 participants.

      It's no great secret that Macs have always been popular with creative types -- the computers have been the mainstay of creative agencies and video- and sound-editing houses for years. This probably has as much to do with the fact that Apple and partners have delivered popular software for graphic and multimedia designers and artists as it does with the contemporary industrial design Macs have long reflected.

      Mac users are quick to agree there is definitely a mindset among their kind of people and aren't offended by a company profiling them according to their enthusiasm for Apple computers.

      MacBook Pro user Reatha Braxton said much of the Mac mindset stems from how Apple has projected the image of its products through advertising -- natch, as she runs her own New York-based media planning and buying agency, Braxton Strategic Group.

      "The whole [Mac] package -- the advertising, the design, the whole image of that is creativity," she said. Braxton, who has been in the advertising business for more than 20 years, said Macs were almost exclusively used in ad agencies, from the people designing the ads to top executives like "the CFO to the CEO."

      As for the idea that Mac users possess an air of superiority, Braxton was less inclined to agree. She said that Macs actually have a pragmatic draw for their faithful because "most people who use Macs will tell you they are smarter machines than PCs, and they want to take advantage of that."

      Still, Braxton did acknowledge that the idea of using the PC "alternative" has an element of cool factor that lures creative types to use Macs over more run-of-the-mill PCs. "It's cooler not to be a lemming," she said.

      Igor Berstein, a computer programmer for a Web-based startup in New York, also agreed there is a Mac mindset, but he doesn't think he necessarily fits into it. He started using his MacBook Pro because, with the Unix base of the OS starting with Mac OS X, it was more convenient for him as a Linux user than a PC was.

      But "since Apple thinks a lot about aesthetics, style-oriented people go for [Macs]," Berstein said. Macs also are more expensive than PCs, so people in the middle-class or upper-class who have accumulated a certain amount of wealth are mostly likely the people who can afford them, he said.

      Berstein also noted that people who care more about brands are also more likely to purchase Macs over PCs. While the term "PC" refers to a computer architecture tied to more than one vendor, Macs are a subbrand tied to the strong Apple brand -- which to some is a catalyst for purchasing a Mac in and of itself, he said.

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20...y6bJnHALsxVrIF

      Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
      You know what? I know this is gonna sound "fake" but I've had the same feeling about Mac users VS. PC users for along time now, myself. It was always just a "feeling" though...nothing I ever imagined trying verify.

    4. #4
      ACrummell's Avatar
      ACrummell is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      33
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      0

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Liberal & open minded usually end in bad results; especially when talking about whites.

    5. #5
      Mamazen's Avatar
      Mamazen is offline Eco Friendly And Green!!

      Join Date
      Nov 2005
      Location
      Land of the Little Pan-African Cloth Peoples
      Posts
      1,732
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/1
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      250

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      This gets a big "WHATEVER!" in my book....LMAO

      Their very limited upper-incomed 7,500 people sampled does not really mean anything...this coming from one who at best can be described (if one can even get to that point with me) as "unorthodox".

      Myself and many others like me own PCs. We were not asked. I guess we are not upper-incomed enough.
      Knowing others is wisdom;
      Knowing the self is enlightenment.
      Mastering others requires force;
      Mastering the self needs strength.

      He who knows he has enough is rich.
      Perseverance is a sign of will power.
      He who stays where he is endures.
      To die but not to perish is to be eternally present.

      Lao Tsu
      Tao Te Ching


      _________________________
      I love animals...
      With potatoes
      And brown gravey


      Watching. Eating. Preserving. Growing. Being. The Blogletter.
      <a href="http://mangobuttahqueen.blogspot.com/"> African Zen Woman</a>
      Yarn into cloth. Cloth into dolls. Pan-African Dolls. <a href="http://littlepan-africanclothpeoples.blogspot.com/">Little Pan-African Cloth People</a>

    6. #6
      tyydae's Avatar
      tyydae is offline Intense

      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      IN THE LIVER, WHERE WE UNITE THE HOUNDS
      Posts
      813
      Blog Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      165

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I have a lot of friends that own Macs, and I guess this will give us one more thing to fight about.

      *those damn PC bastards*
      Peace!

    7. #7
      Im The Truth's Avatar
      Im The Truth is offline Organizer

      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Atlanta, GA by way of Afrika
      Posts
      5,921
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0
      Rep Power
      630

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ACrummell View Post
      Liberal & open minded usually end in bad results; especially when talking about whites.
      .... Yep Yep!
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Skou Tour


      "speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

      "Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King


      Get Involved!

    8. #8
      ACrummell's Avatar
      ACrummell is offline Warrior

      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      33
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      0

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I'm in the minority majority in the fact I dislike macs. I am also a great fan of the much maligned Dell lap top and desk top. I have had a Dell lap top for 4 years now and have yet to have any issues.

    9. #9
      Raha's Avatar
      Raha is offline Be EASY.

      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      SW H-Town
      Posts
      2,031
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      244

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      ANYONE who makes a judgement on one's political/philosophical/artistic basis based on what computer they buy is a moron.

      "Braxton did acknowledge that the idea of using the PC "alternative" has an element of cool factor that lures creative types to use Macs over more run-of-the-mill PCs. "It's cooler not to be a lemming," she said."

      Oh REALLY? So the customers that buy Apple computers are NOT falling for your marketing strategies and going with a so-called "aesthetic" crowd? Bullshit. Sounds like bandwagoning to me! At the end of a day...it's just a computer that is made to serve whatever functions its owner require.




      Oh yeah: the iPhone SUCKS.

      P.E.A.C.E.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

      Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

    10. #10
      tyydae's Avatar
      tyydae is offline Intense

      Join Date
      Jun 2005
      Location
      IN THE LIVER, WHERE WE UNITE THE HOUNDS
      Posts
      813
      Blog Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      165

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Raha View Post

      Oh yeah: the iPhone SUCKS

      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... So, do you have an iPhone? Is it true what they say - The phone IS God - freaky shit dude...freaky shit.
      Peace!

    11. #11
      Raha's Avatar
      Raha is offline Be EASY.

      Join Date
      May 2005
      Location
      SW H-Town
      Posts
      2,031
      Blog Entries
      11
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      244

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by tyydae View Post
      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... So, do you have an iPhone? Is it true what they say - The phone IS God - freaky shit dude...freaky shit.
      Lol, no I don't have an iPhone (and I don't plan on getting one). I like to keep my electronics seperate so that they can do their jobs to the best of their ability. I have a cell phone, and I plan on getting a Palm Pilot to use with the business that I'm building.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

      Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

    12. #12
      Jahness's Avatar
      Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      In amerikkka! Stolen from Afrika!
      Posts
      6,827
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0
      Rep Power
      616

      Arrow


      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Greetings Everyone!

      It's great to see the very lively discussion going on. Personally, I don't like MAC's. I have worked with them a lot, but for my choice I choose the PC.

      What I have noticed though in my years working in the Tech Field and this is just my own observation and opinion, is that some MAC users seem to think that they are of some elite group. Now, that may be that they just love their computer like most people, but some of them tend to have their noses up in the air a bit at PC users. A lot of them will tell you so too, by saying that PC's are crap and PC users need to stop buying junk because PC's need fixing all the time. lol

      Most people just like to show off their latest piece of Technology, never mind if it is overpriced and will be short lived..lol Both machines have their good and bad points in my opinion, to me it's just a personal choice of how comfortable the machine fits the user per se.

      Much appreciation to everyone for taking the time to share your valuable comments.

      Peace & Blessings
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

      ***************************************
      The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.


      If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!


      Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

      Working together, the ants ate the elephant.


    13. #13
      BlackQueen's Avatar
      BlackQueen is offline Pan-Afrikan Nationalist

      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Baltimore,Maryland
      Posts
      1,603
      Blog Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      211

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      What is your opinion of Sony? I currently have a Mac,and I'm thinking of getting a Sony VAIO.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jahness View Post
      Greetings Everyone!

      It's great to see the very lively discussion going on. Personally, I don't like MAC's. I have worked with them a lot, but for my choice I choose the PC.

      What I have noticed though in my years working in the Tech Field and this is just my own observation and opinion, is that some MAC users seem to think that they are of some elite group. Now, that may be that they just love their computer like most people, but some of them tend to have their noses up in the air a bit at PC users. A lot of them will tell you so too, by saying that PC's are crap and PC users need to stop buying junk because PC's need fixing all the time. lol

      Most people just like to show off their latest piece of Technology, never mind if it is overpriced and will be short lived..lol Both machines have their good and bad points in my opinion, to me it's just a personal choice of how comfortable the machine fits the user per se.

      Much appreciation to everyone for taking the time to share your valuable comments.

      Peace & Blessings

    14. #14
      Jalili's Avatar
      Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Under Constant Attack
      Posts
      3,326
      Blog Entries
      10
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0
      Rep Power
      439

      0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      I think it must be based on the thought that artistic people are a bit more "liberal" then people that buy art.

      Mac's are used a lot of the time by web builders and graphic artist because Mac's are very advanced when it comes to graphic tools. When PC are mostly about business and "compatibility" they fit it with most programs and that in turns makes the job simple for anyone to get use to using.

      I don't by the idea that the computer you use is a good view of you character.........but I wouldn't rule it out completely.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. An Open Letter To Black People
      By TTDC Bot in forum Afrikan News RSS Feed
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-26-2015, 01:00 AM
    2. Open Letter to Black People Re: Haiti Connection
      By nattyreb in forum Open Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 03-18-2009, 05:12 PM
    3. An Open Letter to the People of Zimbabwe: Lift Sanctions Now!
      By XXPANTHAXX in forum Afrikan World News
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
    4. Open Letter to People of Conscience
      By Mosi Ngozi in forum Open Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 06-21-2008, 03:08 PM
    5. The Neo-Liberal War Against the Filipino People!
      By nattyreb in forum Mumia Abu-Jamal
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 08-07-2005, 03:21 PM

    Thread Participants: 8

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About

      Assata Shakur Speaks is an Forum Devoted To Assata Shakur And All Political Prisoners Around The World.
      Assata Shakur Speaks Is An Oasis Of Pan African Information Geared Towards The Liberation Of Afrikan People.

    Follow Us On

    Twitter Facebook youtube Flickr DavianArt Dribbble RSS Feed



    BACK TO TOP