Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow 'Wiihab' uses video games to help patients heal

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      'Wiihab' uses video games to help patients heal

* Story Highlights
      * Wii video games being used for physical therapy for patients after injuries, strokes
      * Competition in the games makes them less boring than traditional therapy
      * Players use movements like those in real golf, tennis, bowling, boxing, baseball
      * Patients do better when their exercise is less tedious, one therapist says

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Some call it "Wiihabilitation."

Nintendo's Wii video game system, whose popularity already extends beyond the teen gaming set, is fast becoming a craze in rehab therapy for patients recovering from strokes, broken bones, surgery and even combat injuries.

The usual stretching and lifting exercises that help the sick or injured regain strength can be painful, repetitive and downright boring.

In fact, many patients say PT -- physical therapy's nickname -- really stands for "pain and torture," said James Osborn, who oversees rehabilitation services at Herrin Hospital in southern Illinois.

Using the game console's unique, motion-sensitive controller, Wii games require body movements similar to traditional therapy exercises. But patients become so engrossed mentally they're almost oblivious to the rigor, Osborn said.

"In the Wii system, because it's kind of a game format, it does create this kind of inner competitiveness. Even though you may be boxing or playing tennis against some figure on the screen, it's amazing how many of our patients want to beat their opponent," said Osborn of Southern Illinois Healthcare, which includes the hospital in Herrin. The hospital, about 100 miles southeast of St. Louis, Missouri, bought a Wii system for rehab patients late last year.

"When people can refocus their attention from the tediousness of the physical task, oftentimes they do much better," Osborn said.

Nintendo Co. doesn't market Wii's potential use in physical therapy, but company representative Anka Dolecki said, "We are happy to see that people are finding added benefit in rehabilitation."

The most popular Wii games in rehab involve sports -- baseball, bowling, boxing, golf and tennis. Using the same arm swings required by those sports, players wave a wireless controller that directs the actions of animated athletes on the screen.

The Hines Veterans Affairs Hospital west of Chicago recently bought a Wii system for its spinal cord injury unit.

Pfc. Matthew Turpen, 22, paralyzed from the chest down in a car accident last year while stationed in Germany, plays Wii golf and bowling from his wheelchair at Hines. The Des Moines, Iowa, native says the games help beat the monotony of rehab and seem to be doing his body good, too.

"A lot of guys don't have full finger function so it definitely helps being able to work on using your fingers more and figuring out different ways to use your hands" and arms, Turpen said.

At Walter Reed Army Medical Center, the therapy is well-suited to patients injured during combat in Iraq, who tend to be in the 19 to 25 age range -- a group that's "very into" playing video games, said Lt. Col. Stephanie Daugherty, Walter Reed's chief of occupational therapy.

"They think it's for entertainment, but we know it's for therapy," she said.

It's useful in occupational therapy, which helps patients relearn daily living skills including brushing teeth, combing hair and fastening clothes, Daugherty said.

WakeMed Health has been using Wii games at its Raleigh, North Carolina, hospital for patients as young as 9 "all the way up to people in their 80s," said therapist Elizabeth Penny.

"They're getting improved endurance, strength, coordination. I think it's very entertaining for them," Penny said.

"It really helps the body to loosen up so it can do what it's supposed to do," said Billy Perry, 64, a retired Raleigh police officer. He received Wii therapy at WakeMed after suffering a stroke on Christmas Eve.

Perry said he'd seen his grandchildren play Wii games and was excited when a hospital therapist suggested he try it.

He said Wii tennis and boxing helped him regain strength and feeling in his left arm.

"It's enjoyable. I know I'm going to participate with my grandkids more when I go visit them," Perry said.

While there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that Wii games help in rehab, researcher Lars Oddsson wants to put the games to a real test.

Oddsson is director of the Sister Kenny Research Center at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis. The center bought a Wii system last summer and is working with the University of Minnesota to design a study that will measure patients' function "before and after this 'Wiihab,' as someone called it," Oddsson said.

"You can certainly make a case that some form of endurance related to strength and flexibility and balance and cardio would be challenged when you play the Wii," but hard scientific proof is needed to prove it, Oddsson said.

Meantime, Dr. Julio Bonis of Madrid says he has proof that playing Wii games can have physical effects of another kind.

Bonis calls it acute "Wiiitis" -- a condition he says he developed last year after spending several hours playing the Wii tennis game.

Bonis described his ailment in a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine -- intense pain in his right shoulder that a colleague diagnosed as acute tendinitis, a not uncommon affliction among players of real-life tennis.

Bonis said he recovered after a week of ibuprofen and no Wii, and urged doctors to be aware of Wii overuse.

Still, as a Wii fan, he said in an e-mail that he could imagine more moderate use would be helpful in physical therapy "because of the motivation that the game can provide to the patient."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/08/w....ap/index.html
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

This is a kinda cool application of a video game. I've heard of other video games being use to help patients as well.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth View Post
      This is a kinda cool application of a video game. I've heard of other video games being use to help patients as well.
      Greetings Truth!

Yes, it's great to know that the game is helping people to rehabilitate. I think the effects on the patient is a positive one in helping them get through the physical therapy. I can see how it will motivate others without the boredom of the excersizes.

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

YorubaQueen is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Peace...

ITT I agree this is a really cool application of Wii. Ive read stories about people using this as a form of exercise to help them lose weight as well (I think it was a guy who felt ashamed about working out in front of others or something like that)

I personally don't have Wii but I swear that's probably the best video game that can come out for children...we live in such a lazy nation and anything that gets children to actually move around and 'play' works for me (even though they need to have their tails outside but meh...one step at a time right!)

YQ
      African Americans are psuedo-citizens, descendants of slaves whose purpose is to discover and fulfill our destiny... Rites of Passage Funtunfanafu 2005

Verbal Diaspora

Jalili is offline Continuing the Fight

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 0/0

My little brother is a sadeningly lazy so and so but he has a Wii and it's getting his behind moving.
      And I always see some fat white kid jumping and stomping their ass off at the arcade at the mall sweating away.
      If games are getting lazy people up and moving bring more on.
      "We may be investigated, incarcerated or murdered for the things we dare to write...
      But we are young and Black, fearless and free...
      Every poem, every incandescent word is a personal revolution"
      Celeste "ayasha" Golden (my queen rest well and I'll see you when I get there.)
      http://awrittenlifeapoeticsoul.blogspot.com/
      http://justiseverything.blogspot.com/

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings YorubaQueen & JABOOM!

Anything that can get people to be more active, I agree it has to be a good thing. The youths especially need this boost to keep them from getting extra lazy and overweight which in turn brings about so much health issues.

Can you imagine how many of our youths who at least get some form of excersize now when before they had none, not even in the school because theyare cutting physical education programs throughout the country.

I say Wii them into shape, it's all good :o)

Thank you both for sharing your views on this issue.

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

Thread Information