Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Microsoft Giving Away Developer Software

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Microsoft Giving Away Developer Software
      By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SEATTLE (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. is giving students free access to its most sophisticated tools for writing software and making media-rich Web sites, a move that intensifies its competition with Adobe Systems Inc. and could challenge open source software's popularity.

The Redmond-based software maker said late Monday it will let students download Visual Studio Professional Edition, a software development environment; Expression Studio, which includes graphic design and Web site and hybrid Web-desktop programming tools; and XNA Game Studio 2.0, a video game development program.

The company will also give away SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition and Windows Server Standard Edition.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates said the company's past efforts to arrange educational discounts for these programs limited the number of students who ultimately could use them. DreamSpark, as Microsoft is calling the free software offering, opens up access to many more students.

It's also good for Microsoft's business, Gates added.

''We give up some revenue, but we gain the fact that we'll get the feedback of these students, get more courses to incorporate our tools into the programs and get more startups where kids are familiar with Visual Studio, Expression Studio and SQL Server,'' Gates said in a phone interview.

The program, which Microsoft says will put its software and Web development tools in the hands of 1 billion students, gives momentum to an attack Microsoft launched on Adobe Systems Inc. last year with the release of Expression Studio and Silverlight, its answer to Adobe's market-leading Photoshop and Illustrator design programs and Flash, the technology behind much of the video and animation on Web pages.

''It's a brilliant strategic move on the part of Microsoft,'' said Chris Swenson, a software industry analyst with NPD Group. ''This is one of the core audiences you have to hit if you really want to make a difference in the rich Internet application market going forward.''

Handing out free copies of Expression Studio to students today increases the chance that the next big Web 2.0 craze will be designed with Microsoft's tools and accessed using the Silverlight plug-in, rather than with open source and Adobe technology.

DreamSpark could also win a generation of programmers away from open source software, which companies from small startups to Google Inc. use as an affordable, flexible alternative to software from the likes of Microsoft and database maker Oracle Inc.

Gates said students will want to try Microsoft's tools because they're more powerful than the open-source combination of Linux-based operating systems, the Apache Web server, the MySQL database and the PHP scripting language used to make complex Web sites.

But Gates said giving away Microsoft software isn't intended to turn students against open source software entirely. Rather, he hopes it will just add one more tool to their belt.

Giving away Visual Studio, meanwhile, will help ensure a steady stream of new desktop and desktop-Web hybrid applications Microsoft hopes will keep consumers hooked on Windows PCs, even as more programs migrate to the Web.

The programs are available now to more than 35 million college students in the U.S., Belgium, China, Finland, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the U.K.

DreamSpark will open to high school students around the world starting in the fall and to college students in other countries in the next year.

Microsoft said it is working with individual schools, governments and student organizations in each country on systems that confirm students are currently enrolled.

------

On the Net:

Students can see if they're eligible to download the software at: http://channel8.msdn.com

Download page:
      https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/tech...ref=technology

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

WOW. This is HUGE.

It makes me wish I was a student right now. Lol
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Raha View Post
      WOW. This is HUGE.

It makes me wish I was a student right now. Lol
      Folks who want those expensive software should really check it out and make use of the opportunity. One thing for sure they shouldn't have to come out of their pockets to pay for the software, which we know costs too damn much anyway. lol Pass it on to those you know. a few of our people might be lucky to get in before the supply runs out, especially those who are pursuing degrees in those particulur fields of study.

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

Anybody when is a student and interested in web/app programming NEEDS to take advantage of this free programs they are standard in the industry plus once you know them you can make any kind of system you want as well. Pay special attention to all .NET programming and SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition, and for you networking people Windows Server Standard Edition.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Im The Truth View Post
      Anybody who is a student and interested in web/app programming NEEDS to take advantage of this free programs they are standard in the industry plus once you know them you can make any kind of system you want as well. Pay special attention to all .NET programming and SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition, and for you networking people Windows Server Standard Edition.

Greetings Im The Truth!

Very true indeed anyone who is interested in web/app programming should take advantage of this offer. I tried to send it out to as many people I know, so they can get in early, just in case the offer goes away.

Let's get the word out people. Share the info with others.

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

jamal-s is offline Warrior

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Given: 0/0

I'm already on it!! I got both the latest version of Visual Basic, and Visual C++. I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to download the video game development software though. Now all I've got to do is finish learning the language
      So if I should ever fall and get caught in a hustle
      Let em know that I died while I fought in a struggle
      From the hoodrats to rich kids lost in a bubble
      Spray paint it on the streets and in the subway tunnels
      Write it down and remember, that we never gave in
      The Mind of a Child is where the Revolution Begins
      So if the solution has never been to look in yourself,
      How is it that you expect to find it anywhere else?

- Immortal Technique

BLACK MINDS DEVELOPMENT (BMD)

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jamal-s View Post
      I'm already on it!! I got both the latest version of Visual Basic, and Visual C++. I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to download the video game development software though. Now all I've got to do is finish learning the language
      Greetings jamal-s!

Way to go warrior! Thanks for taking the time to give us the feedback. You will learn it, you know
      you are an Afrikan genius like that

Peace & Blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

Quote Originally Posted by jamal-s View Post
      It's good that you are trying to learn programming cuz we need all the programmers we can get. It would be best if you forget about Visual Basic & Visual C++ for now because they are quickly becoming obsolete. Of course learn them if they are required in school. A lot of schools still teach C++ or Java. C++ is good to learn for the basics of programming but if I'm not mistaken 2005 was the last and final versions of both of them. .NET is Microsoft's new programming language so C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET are what you'll want to learn if you want to program using Microsoft's development tools. All of them are included in Visual Studio 2008 or 2005. The reason I say this is because when Microsoft updates programming languages they do a good job of forcing companies and software developers to use the their latest development tools by not supporting old development tools such as Visual C++ or Visual Basic. In addition Visual C++ and Visual Basic can't do for much of the web applications today and are very inefficient for web applications. And outside of Microsoft development tools Java very important programming language too.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Thread Information