Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 9/0
      Given: 13/1

Microsoft Releases Windows XP Service Pack 3

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      osted at 08:35 PM ET, 05/ 6/2008
      Microsoft Releases Windows XP Service Pack 3

Microsoft today finally released Service Pack 3 for Windows XP users. The update should now be offered via both Windows Update or Automatic Updates. The company was expected to release it last week, but pulled the plug at the last minute due to a compatibility problem with an obscure product they offer.

Many readers have asked me whether this update is really necessary, given that there isn't a whole lot new in Service Pack 3 aside from all of the security and non-security updates Microsoft has ever released for the operating system.

The following are some of the things you should know about installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP.

Microsoft says it is not adding any significant Windows Vista technology into XP with Service Pack 3. No surprise there, given that Microsoft has said Service Pack 3 will be XP's swan song: The company currently plans to stop issuing new licenses for the operating system this summer. However, some consumers and PC manufacturers are starting to make a big fuss about this. I'm sort of in agreement with them: XP isn't perfect, but I've grown used to it, known it like the back of my hand, and it is very stable. I cannot say any of those things for the machine I have that's powered by Windows Vista (Ultimate).

In addition to all the previously released security updates and hotfixes (some of which users may not have, even if they have been keeping up with security patches), SP3 includes "a small number of enhancements, which do not significantly change customers' experience with the operating system," Microsoft said.

So what gives? Most of the security and non-security additions contained in SP3 are features more likely to be used by businesses, not average consumers. So why install this, when there's a chance it could bork my machine, you ask?

I believe that chance is minimal: XP3 was offered to one of my machines via Automatic Updates today. After a short time, the Automatic Update icon disappeared and I began to wonder what was up, so I decided to reboot. Then it told me there were patches ready to install, and did I want to install them and then reboot? After clicking "yes" and waiting for about 15 minutes, the system rebooted. My machine seems to be no worse for the wear after making room for SP3, but then again your mileage may vary.

I think it's fine for people to wait a few days or weeks to install this service pack. Smart money is on the notion that some users with some class of hardware or software installations will have problems, some of them perhaps irreparable or difficult-to-fix.

However, if you were already planning to rebuild an XP system from scratch anyway, Service Pack 3 would be ideal for that task, as it would streamline the process considerably. Even if you install XP without any prior service packs, installing Service Pack 3 brings your system up to date on all security updates.

To minimize the slim chances that this update might brick your PC, it's probably a good idea to follow these steps that Microsoft recommends before installing SP3.

As the SANS Internet Storm Center notes, people who for whatever reason are still using Internet Explorer 6 will NOT be upgraded to IE7 after installing this service pack. However, if you already have IE7 on your system when you install Service Pack 3, you will not be able to migrate back to IE6.

Finally, Microsoft hasn't so much as fixed the incompatibility problem that prompted it to delay pushing out Service Pack 3 last week. Instead it put filters in place so that customers running the incompatible software installed won't be offered the update.

If your small to mid-sized business is running Microsoft Dynamics RMS, definitely hold off installing this service pack for now.

Posted by Brian Krebs
      You are here because you know something,what you
      know you can't explain,but you feel it.You've felt it
      your entire life; that theres something wrong with the
      world.You don't know what it is but it's there; a
      splinter in your mind... the matrix

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

You'd think they make vista stable before they start forcing people to use vista but I guess they can do whatever they want.
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

Mosi Ngozi is offline Pan-Afrikanist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 9/0
      Given: 13/1

I am in complete agreement with with you Im The Truth that vista should have stable and made sure that it would be compatable with some software. I do no like it at all. I ended up giving my new laptop to the children and went back to using my old one just so as to have XP.
      You are here because you know something,what you
      know you can't explain,but you feel it.You've felt it
      your entire life; that theres something wrong with the
      world.You don't know what it is but it's there; a
      splinter in your mind... the matrix

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Greetings Everyone!

Let's wait and see that SP3 is all it's cracked up to be. Wait a while before installing it. Users will let us
      know soon enough if it's worth installing it.

Vista is a mess. It is very unstable and has a mind of it's own.

Much appreciation bigdaddiej for sharing this update.

Peace!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Sadiku is offline Truth Laser

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 4/0

Happy & "saved"

Let me just add how happy I am that SP3 didn't install on my system when I downloaded it last weekend. But it did cause me major heart burn.... yeah, get the anti-acids out if you install Service Pack 3. I was almost to the point of a complete reinstall of the operating system, but I caught myself in the nick of time when I realized that I was probably having a conflict with one of my security softwares and SP3. You definitely want to becareful before intalling Service Pack 3. I would advice "don't do it." Considering that it completely froze up my system. Yeah Vista does have a mind of it's own... does exactly what it wants to do.... closes out IE 7 cause it just "feels" like it.... what a mess.... I am sure that there are plenty more patches to come for Vista also.... lol
      "Life is about Death - It is a fight for survival to the very end. ." Sadiku

"Who wants equality with murderers, thieves, rapists, cheaters, liars,
      grave robbers, baby killers, baby stealers, savages, brutes and beasts?
      Who wants equality with the devil himself?" - Sadiku

"Who wants to integrate [into] a burning house?" - James Baldwin

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or
      justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it." - Malcolm X

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiku View Post
      Let me just add how happy I am that SP3 didn't install on my system when I downloaded it last weekend. But it did cause me major heart burn.... yeah, get the anti-acids out if you install Service Pack 3. I was almost to the point of a complete reinstall of the operating system, but I caught myself in the nick of time when I realized that I was probably having a conflict with one of my security softwares and SP3. You definitely want to becareful before intalling Service Pack 3. I would advice "don't do it." Considering that it completely froze up my system. Yeah Vista does have a mind of it's own... does exactly what it wants to do.... closes out IE 7 cause it just "feels" like it.... what a mess.... I am sure that there are plenty more patches to come for Vista also.... lol
      Greetings Sadiku!

Great seeing you. Happy to know that you avoided some of the heartache of SP3. I too would advise people not to install SP3, before they end up with more problems than they bargained for.

Thanks for taking the time to share your most valuable comments on this topic. I sincerely appreciate your honest feedback.

Peace & Blessings!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Thread Information