Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow Firefox 3 browser is nifty and packed with handy features

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Firefox 3 browser is nifty and packed with
      handy features

Even if you're an active Web surfer you probably don't pay much attention to the browser you are using. By default, you likely employ Microsoft's Internet Explorer on a Windows machine, if only because Internet Explorer sits right there on your desktop. The Apple crowd typically sticks with Safari.

Still, many of us in recent years have been drawn to a feature-rich browser called Firefox from the non-profit Mozilla organization. This week Mozilla released a speedy and more secure new version called Firefox 3.

I've generally had a very good experience testing Firefox 3 on Windows PCs and Macs. (It also works on Linux.) It's snappier than Internet Explorer and uses less memory. I had no trouble migrating from Firefox 2. And Mozilla claims Firefox 3 has more than 15,000 improvements, though I'll have to take their word for it because most of the action is under the hood.

Why go to the trouble of switching browsers? Through the years, Microsoft has been slow to innovate. Guess that comes with owning a monopoly share. It was late to the party with such features as tabbed browsing, which lets you keep multiple browser windows open at the same time. (The feature is there now.)

And for a while anyway, Internet Explorer seemed to have more gaping holes than Swiss cheese, though to be fair it's gotten a lot more secure in recent iterations. Still, the door was left wide open for more nimble rivals, including Apple's Safari (which now also works on Windows), Norway's Opera and, of course, Firefox.

I've long appreciated the "restore previous session feature" in Firefox, which opens the tabs and windows from your previous session should the browser unexpectedly crash. A Firefox pop-up blocker arrived early on. A built-in spell-checker is another core feature.

As "open source" software - meaning the code is open to all programmers - Firefox is also extremely customizable. Some 5,000 add-on programs have been made available, though not all of them are ready for version 3. I was unable to load Google Send to Phone for Firefox because as a pop-up window warned, "It does not provide secure updates." Mozilla said about 75% of the most-used add-ons were compatible with Firefox 3 in the days leading up to the launch; most of your favorites should catch up quickly.

Firefox 3 is less of a hog on system resources than its predecessor or Internet Explorer. I opened a dozen popular sites in Firefox on a Vista machine and opened the same ones with Microsoft's browser. Firefox used a lot less memory.

Let's take a closer look at the latest version of the Mozilla browser.

•Easy navigation. Arguably the most useful new feature is the "Smart Location Bar," aka, the "Awesome Bar." Start typing and Firefox serves up a drop-down list of possible cyberdestinations based on sites you've already visited, bookmarked or tagged. It learns as you go. The words you type appear in bold, making it a cinch to find an appropriate match if there is one. Typing "Ru" brought up listings of sites I visited after Tim Russert died.

Firefox makes intelligent (and usually correct) guesses when you enter text. You won't always have to type in a complete Web address. When I typed "Mets" and pressed enter, I was transported to the official site of my favorite ball club. When I typed "onion," I was taken to the Onion humor site. On Internet Explorer, typing "Mets" and "onion" took me to search pages instead.

Bookmarking is also a breeze. A star icon appears to the right of the Web address in the location bar. Click the star once to save the location as a bookmark. Or double-click the star to tag and save the site to a particular location.

And you can click on a new Most Visited folder to check out the sites you hang out at most often, one of the available "smart bookmark folders."

•Security. You were warned in Firefox 2, and for that matter Internet Explorer, when coming upon a "phishing" site. These bogus sites try ripping you off by masquerading as real financial (or other) institutions. With Firefox 3, Mozilla broadens the alarm to include sites that attempt to attack your machine with viruses, spyware or other "malware." A pop-up appears with a "get me out of here" button; you can also click for an explanation of why the site is blocked.

Clicking on a tiny icon to the left of the location bar lets you determine if a site you are visiting is legit.

Mozilla's rivals aren't standing still. Opera just released its own new version with features that keep bookmarks and notes synchronized between the desktop browser and one on your cellphone. Microsoft is readying a new version of Internet Explorer, and the bet is Apple is doing the same with Safari. And the Flock "social browser" (which is built on top of Firefox technology) is in trials with a new test version of its own. The way it's going, you may even start paying more attention to the browser that you are using.

E-mail: ebaig@usatoday.com

Firefox 3 browser is nifty and packed with handy features - Yahoo! News

Copyright © 2008 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Mosi Ngozi is offline Pan-Afrikanist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 9/0
      Given: 13/1

I have been using firefox for about 4 years and most times i have waiting at least six months before i made a upgrade and this time i upgraded on the release day and i am happy as hell that i did.3.0 has some great add ons as well such as hide i.d.,no script,track me not and grease monkey. I use opera as my secondary browser.
      You are here because you know something,what you
      know you can't explain,but you feel it.You've felt it
      your entire life; that theres something wrong with the
      world.You don't know what it is but it's there; a
      splinter in your mind... the matrix

BlackIsPower is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

I dig firefox as well,so I just did the upgrade to version 3 and so far it looks cool,I'm wondering if you can put the firefox browser on ur phone I just got the motorola Q9 and it has IE on it and I hate IE esp. since it doesn't work at all on my Laptop (that's why I have firefox) just a thought though...
      Word is bond,bond is life i give my life before my word shall fail /a soldiers oath/freedom or death/I won't stop if I fail,If I fail I get back up can't be soft /gotta be tough/failure is NOT a option/Real recognize Real/let's get it poppin /with mathematics you can solve any problem /that's how we make it to the Top from the Bottom -Dead Prez

Mosi Ngozi is offline Pan-Afrikanist

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 9/0
      Given: 13/1

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIsPower View Post
      I dig firefox as well,so I just did the upgrade to version 3 and so far it looks cool,I'm wondering if you can put the firefox browser on ur phone I just got the motorola Q9 and it has IE on it and I hate IE esp. since it doesn't work at all on my Laptop (that's why I have firefox) just a thought though...
      I think that you can use opera,but not firefox
      You are here because you know something,what you
      know you can't explain,but you feel it.You've felt it
      your entire life; that theres something wrong with the
      world.You don't know what it is but it's there; a
      splinter in your mind... the matrix

G.O.D.F.A.T.H.A. is offline Universal Wisdom Seeker

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 6/0

Firefox 3.0 is a great browser. I can't wait until they add new features for it.

Im The Truth is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 12/1
      Given: 7/0

I got it it's dope!
      "If the enemy is not doing anything against you, you are not doing anything"
      -Ahmed Sékou Touré

"speak truth, do justice, be kind and do not do evil."
      -Baba Orunmila

"Cowardice asks the question: is it safe? Expediency asks the question: is it political? Vanity asks the question: is it popular? But conscience asks the question: is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor political, nor popular - but one must take it simply because it is right."
      --Dr. Martin L. King

Get Involved!

DreadedBliss is offline Militia

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

A little bit ago my PC updated to Firefox 3 and I was loving it until I got a whiff of the "Awesome Bar", eh, not so much . DL'd the 1.3 addon for the addy bar and I'm diggin' it. Though it only keeps 12 addresses and it looks like I need to train it to remember something I just typed in, eventually . Otherwise it's a go!
      "The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness." - The Honorable Marcus Mosiah Garvey

Godssoulja is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I guess Im a little slower to change I still used internet explorer. The only other browser I use is a kiddie blocker to keep the littles off unwanted sites.
      "Be an innovator not a duplicator!"

"Only thing I gotta do is stay black & die"

"Educating, edifying and inspiring the lives of afrikan people throughout the Diaspora."

"Some people talk about Change, Some people make Changes happen."

Walk Wit Me is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

for some reason the new version of firefox stops loading videos after a while.

when that happens u have to close it and open back up.

Thread Information