Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      umbrarchist is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Are smartphones the real threat to netbooks?

Dual-core smartphones

Dual-core smartphones - CNET Reviews

The Sensation is about 16 times as powerful as my PMA400. So that plus a folding USB keyboard would be competition for a netbook. The user just has to figure out what he wants to actually do with it.

um

Thumbs Up/Down

The media Hype is telling us that ULTRAbooks are the Next Big Thing.

This is what Fox News is saying about netbooks now.

Forget those crummy netbooks. Think of the new batch of systems as what laptops should have been from the very start: Functional. Powerful. Insanely great. And affordable.
      http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...rth-laptop-pc/

But this is what Fox News was saying in 2010:

PC companies may accentuate the negative when it comes to netbooks, but I'm a fan -- and I have plenty of company. Their affordable portability makes them a pleasure, whether you're kicking back on the sofa or heading out of town on vacation. When I fly, I find 15" laptops virtually unusable in most coach sections; a netbook, however, fits just fine even if the traveler in front of me reclines all the way.
      http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...ttle-netbooks/

Are we supposed to fall for this? Let's face a simple fact. At $300 to $500 the profit margins on netbooks are pretty slim. The manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers and salesmen all know this. The media knows is too. The media makes its money on advertising. The media is not interested in biting the hand that feeds them so the media is trying to tell us what to think so we buy the right things even if it wastes our money.

Dell has discontinued its netbooks and is introducing ultrabooks. They are telling us that ultrabooks are better because they have bigger screens but they are also trying to sell us 7" tablets but the 10" screens in netbooks are not big enough. Does that make sense? Netbooks may have 320 gig hard drives while the ultrabooks have 128 gig SSDs for twice as much money. Does that make sense?

The media is propagandising us with exaggerated information to convince us the netbooks are garbage and ultrabooks are great. This is about THE MONEY!!!

I am afraid that it is quite possible that we only need so much power because we are being sold bloated, crappy software. So we are supposed to spend more for software so we then have to spend more for hardware. I am sorry but I am not spending money for the sake of Microsoft's and Dell's stockholders.

I would sooner look at Toshiba or Samsung netbooks than Dell ultrabooks.

Ultrabooks are just a marketing campaign so Intel can make UltraBUCKS off ultraSUCKERS who fall for the hype. Sure they are more powerful than netbooks. But if they can make ultrabooks that thin do you doubt that they could put those processors into netbooks if they wanted to? They are just manipulating the technology to serve the marketing strategy.

um

Thumbs Up/Down

A Lament for Netbooks
      Jun. 29th, 2012 by Christopher Tozzi
      A Lament for Netbooks | The VAR Guy

Why are tablets supposed to be so great with only 16 gig but netbooks disappear with 320 gig hard drives? Is the computer industry playing us and manipulating the technology on the basis of what maximizes their profit?

um

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information