Jacuma is offline Forward To PanAfricanism

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 15/1
      Given: 15/0

Lightbulb T-mail will replace e-mail, says Philip Emeagwali

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Supercomputer guru out of Africa, into future
      T-mail will replace e-mail, he says. In a century, everyone will be 'logged
      on;' communication will be telepathic: Emeagwali

ANDREW MAYEDA
      CanWest News Service

March 9, 2005

When most people talk about the future of the Internet, they think 10,
      maybe 20 years down the road. Philip Emeagwali thinks in millennia.

Having visions of consumer electronics networked to create a "smart home"
      that can respond to its owner's commands? Sorry, heard that one. How
      about a world in which humans with chips in their brains communicate
      through telepathic e-mail? Forget e-mail, "t-mail" is the future.

It's one of the provocative, some would say outlandish, ideas to flow
      from the formidable mind of Emeagwali, supercomputer virtuoso, Internet
      prophet, civil-war survivor and African hero.

Superlatives abound on Emeagwali's lengthy resume.

In 1989, he programmed more than 65,000 computer processors to perform
      the world's fastest computation: 3.1 billion calculations per second.

The feat smashed the previous record and proved a network of small
      computers could outperform more powerful, expensive supercomputers. (Today's
      fastest supercomputers can perform well over a trillion calculations
      per second.)

He has been called one of the "fathers of the Internet," alongside
      pioneers such as Tim Berners-Lee and Vint Cerf.

Last year, he placed 35th among the 100 greatest Africans ever in a poll
      by New African magazine. The list is topped by Nelson Mandela and
      includes Martin Luther King, Kofi Annan and Bob Marley.

Born in Nigeria, young Philip was recognized early as a math prodigy.

His father drilled him to solve 100 problems an hour to help pass school
      entrance exams.

But at the age of 12, civil war forced him to drop out and he was
      conscripted into the Biafran army. He earned a high school diploma
      through self-teaching and won a math scholarship in the U.S

He has since earned several degrees, including a PhD in scientific
      computing, and delved into fields such as oceanography, meterology and
      oil exploration.

In recent years, Emeagwali, now 50, has used his knowledge of
      supercomputers to develop a theory of the Internet's evolution.

He dismisses the common notion the Internet evolved out of the security
      needs of the U.S. defence establishment. For him, it was about finding
      ways for scientists to access remote supercomputers, the colossal
      calculators housed in scientific and military labs.

And he believes supercomputers, not software applications such as e-mail
      and Web browsers, will continue to drive the Net's development.

A century from now, the computers at each node of the Internet will be a
      "zillion times" faster and more intelligent, rendering the computer,
      and even the Internet, obsolete. Meanwhile, bionic implants will rewire
      our brains into computers, he predicts. With everyone "logged on" at all
      times, e-mail will be telepathic.

Emeagwali realizes this sounds like science fiction, he said in an
      interview. But in this case of his supercomputer discovery, fiction was
      the spark of genius. His idea to harness the power of thousands of
      computers came from a book that imagined 64,000 humans around the world
      performing calculations to improve weather forecasting.

Emeagwali has also distinguished himself for his stand on social issues,
      such as the effects of colonization on Africa and the ongoing "brain
      drain" of promising African scholars to the West.

"I'm a black scientist and an African scientist. So when I became
      prominent, I tried to use that voice," said Emeagwali, a Washington-based
      consultant.

"If the Internet and telecommunications break down the barriers of space
      and time, it means somebody in Africa or India could be employed in the
      United States or Canada."
      Thirty eight years ago on 12/04/2009 the united snakes murdered Fred Hampton & Mark Clark, this date also marks the 6 year anniversary of the launching of this site in solidarity of these martyrs.

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Thanks Jacuma.

This is a great post. A lot of these African brothers are so advanced in the Technoloy field. The problem is that the racism holds them back, and of course we know they never make money as much as the bill gates. Others use their ideas and end up to be Billionaires. Even in the Technology security field they make a lot of advances as well. They never get their just reward or recognition.

Respect Always
      Jahness
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Baba Ahmed is offline Honorable Ancestor

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0
      Given: 0/0

Yeah but like many scientists, if he's proposing use of implants later for this idea, he's get'n lost in his abstracted world. Unless he wants to outdo yt, who's already using them. There's been a move on to replace humans with computerized robots that create their own replacements.... other computerized robots.

Naw - I ain't wid dis one... this is truly a baaaaaaaad brutha; but here to me he's a lil out of bounds. I'm calling a technical foul on'im. Let'im sit out for awhile.
      Free Dome Zone

http://www.oneblackearth.com
      http://oneblackearth.tripod.com
      ==========================

PayPal ready.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings Baba!

I don't think Philip Emeagwali is all bad. Yes, I agree with you thinking about humans being implanted with these devices does not feel right to me either, and I don't think it's a good idea, but the future of Technology is headed that way no matter what we believe. Because of his accomplishments, I do believe the brother is very intelligent. I did no say I agree with everything he speaks about.

Also he did not say he is the one that will be doing these things, it's just the direction the technology will be moving in. Remember the days of Star Trek, all that stuff looked so far off and inconceiveable to most people. Now today so much of the technology used in scifi's has become even more advance.

Again, it's not everything that this brother says, I agree with. I do disagree with you though when you say "Naw - I ain't wid dis one... this is truly a baaaaaaaad brutha; but here to me he's a lil out of bounds. I'm calling a technical foul on'im. Let'im sit out for awhile" .

Give the brother his due respect, in my humble opinion he has earned it, because of some of his major accomplishments.

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

Peace and blessings b yours, Jahness -

I'll write this in proper English so as not to b misunderstood. I posted an article about this brutha a couple of years ago that reported his contributions in making the internet possible. Disrespect? Hardly; admire will be a much better term.

Is a warning criticism seen as disrespectful. And to say that such or such is part of a trend, so.....? What? Follow the trend?

I say no!

A major part of my struggles is to wash out the leadership of Eu-rope-an cultural thought and its resulting behaviors. And to replace them with Afrikan centered cultural life and its results: to reclaim Afrika's place among the world's nations.

I have a very close yung Ethiopian friend, an engineer for BP. She idolizes Albert Einstein. I criticized him for his part in making the Atomic Bomb. She admires his "scientific" accomplishments. I asked her who forms today's Priesthood in Eu-rope-an/Amerikkkan world hegemony. And told her in today's "Scientism" technological domininance is its God and its Priesthood is of Scientist of all persuasions. Who march on for progress. Whose very projections and prophecies are accepted as universal Truth. Its a religion.

Western Sciences are no less than a bunch of assumptions strengthen by the faith of its practicioners and folk like me and u who accept their godly pronouncements. As infallible fact.

Part of my struggle, I will not speak for you, is to wash out all traces of Eu-rope-an cultural thought and resulting behaviors. You said it well, the Sci Fi movies/books we see and read today are merely imaginative forecasts of what's coming. Which materalize because a nebulous thinking public accept scientific announcements as universal truth as if sent from on high. Mathematicians and Physicist may lead the charge, unknown to a general public.

Add Madison Avenue in this mix and u'll discover how mass minds are controlled and lead to join in trends that underpins what they will become.

I say no! Its normal for Eu-rope-an mindsets to turn human life into mechanical "life." It will soon be normal for Afrikans and other 1st World's people - those who were here first and built high civilizations who were not bent on conquering, dominating and controlling all other peoples' cultures.

That's exactly the trend for today and tomorrow; unless Afrikans and other Nature based people fail to re-connect with their ancestoral spirits and re-take our ways for life to benefit us. To consciously and willingly join in with a trend that we know is anti-human is wrong. But then when we understand the nature and strengths of Eu-rope-an drives and our own, we will not think that White folk are really God as they fool people into thinking they are.

That's part of what I meant. And again I do not equate a criticism with disrespect. Nor do I think: its all good. There's too much "bad" now generated by European ways coupled with too little of us studying and in focused dedication live as Afrikans.

All Black may be Black; but all Blacks living to be Afrikans and thus not put in check is harmful.... in fact down right dangerous.

Clearly: I honor the brutha's accomplishments. I do not honor a statement that accepts anything because its a trend. Before and since Europeans have established race as a front to hide their continual drive to rule this world, they still march on.... oft times with big time help from their unwitting friends: Black Folk.

I hope u do not see this as disrespectful to u. Just, if u please, accept it as a light spanking.

Your brutha in struggle as it continues 24/7/366
      Free Dome Zone

PayPal ready.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Ahmed
      Yeah but like many scientists, if he's proposing use of implants later for this idea, he's get'n lost in his abstracted world. Unless he wants to outdo yt, who's already using them. There's been a move on to replace humans with computerized robots that create their own replacements.... other computerized robots.

Naw - I ain't wid dis one... this is truly a baaaaaaaad brutha; but here to me he's a lil out of bounds. I'm calling a technical foul on'im. Let'im sit out for awhile.
      Peace & Blessings to you also Baba

I didn't mean to make you change your writing form to proper English. You might had well kept on writing in the form you were using before, cause this time, I might really miss the gist of what you are saying. I get lost when bombarded by wordy "Eu-rope-an cultural thought", as you so nicely put it, because there is nothing proper about English in my humble opinion. :o

If you wrote or posted something good about Philip Emeagwali, a couple of years ago, I was not privy to that. I commented on the fragment you wrote and I did not notice any positive comments about the brother, or his accomplishments, hence the reason for my comment. As a matter of fact you said "Naw I ain't wid dis one... this is truly a baaaaaaaad brutha; but here to me he's a lil out of bounds. I'm calling a technical foul on'im. Let'im sit out for awhile." I don't speak proper english, but reading the lines, I didn't notice your admiration for the brother, as you so clearly states now.

A warning criticism is not considered disrespectful, I would agree with that. I myself even said that not all this brother advocates, I agree with. Trends, I don't follow, but we both know they exist. Our people just has to know, that the oppressors trend is not for them.

If you clearly honor the brutha's accomplishments, that is good and that was all I was saying, give the brother his props, even though you may disagree with and have all right to do so some things he is advocating.

I hope u do not see this as disrespectful to you, but I won't accept, if u please, a light spanking from you, because that is evidence of fragments of a Eu-rope-an mindset, brought about by colonialism that is still evident in some of my people. No more beating the black woman or man Baba even if it's called spanking. And to quote you further Baba "All Black may be Black; but all Blacks living to be Afrikans and thus not put in check is harmful.... in fact down right dangerous :o

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

Peace, blessings and the backing of our ancestors, my respected sista -

lets first clear our air: spanking is very acceptable in Afrikan cultures. It was the likes of Dr. Benjamin Spock, a jew, who popularized in Amerikkka: no spanking; no admonishments; no guidance... leave the children alone. We're witnessing some of that misguided advice. I said that as a light joke; but if u were my child & u stepped to far out of line, I'd have no compunction in spanking your behind as I did with our own children. The girls I seldom if ever touched; my wife handled them very well. So u don't accept a light spanking, no problema we won't fall out 'bout that. BTW u ever hear an Afrikan proverb: a boy hears thru his back! Besides I doubt you're qualified to tell me what to or not to do with my children. I didn't rear them alone, they were reared in a village of sorts; we had plenty of help. If my child got stink before others in our village (i.e. NYC) they put'im in check right then and there via word or hand. I mean no disrespect to u either; mine were not reared in a peace and love community. Mine hit this realm ready to do battle, they just needed a few pointers re what this realm is about now, not in Utopia. They were taught self defense; not to love our enemy or pray for them except their death.

Don't want this to turn into a two way rap; so I appreciate your concern and take exception to your definition changing a spanking to a beating. Not that it really matters, cause clearly we are in different wave lengths. So to u be your way; to me be mine.

Aluta continua and watoo ma boori!

Kwame
      Free Dome Zone

PayPal ready.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Peace and Blessings Baba

I am fully aware of the acceptability of spanking in the Afrikan culture in reference to disciplining our children. I did not accept your "light spanking" as you called it because I am not a child, at least not your child. We won't fall out about it, there is no need to.

On the other hand Baba please try and stay focused. You are going on and on about me telling you what to do with your children, and I did no such thing. Try to stay on topic please. If we are to have an honest discussion it helps to avoid unecessary personal side issues. What you do with your children is your right.

If you prepared your children and they are ready to do battle, blessings to you and them. That is what the community need prepared warriors, not people getting tied up by there own words, not knowing where the beginning middle or end is at. Staying focused is fundamental, if we are to win this fight for our liberation.

This definitely won't be a two way rap, because once a point is made there is no need to rant and rave. Yes baba I will agree to each his or her own.

Respect Always

If you fail to prepare,

Thread Information