Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: Teens Hackers and Virus Makers Should be Eligible for Prison Time?

Voters
    13. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes. Do the crime, do the time.

6 46.15%
    • Yes. And so should their parents.

1 7.69%
    • No. They may be smart, but they dont have adult common sense.

1 7.69%
    • No. But their parents should have to take on any financial liability associated with their crime.

5 38.46%
      IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0
      Given: 0/0

Teen Sentenced to Prison for Virus Creation

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      Microsoft Drops Teen Blaster Writer's $500,000 Fine
      Technology - Internet Report

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Jeffrey Lee Parson, the teen convicted of infecting 48,000 computers with a variant of the destructive Blaster worm, will not have to pay $500,000 in restitution to Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news), the world's largest software maker said on Wednesday.

Instead, the Minnesota teen will have to perform 225 hours of community service in addition to a year and half in prison and an earlier order to perform 100 hours of community service, once the final sentence is signed by Judge Marsha Pechman of the U.S. District Court in Seattle. He also will be placed under supervision for three years following the sentence.

Microsoft, which released Parson from his financial obligation in a legal agreement signed by both parties earlier this week, said it was satisfied with the final sentence.

"Mr. Parson's additional community service will have a stronger impact on him in serving his sentence," Tim Cranton, senior attorney at Microsoft, said in an e-mailed statement.

Parson pleaded guilty last year to creating a variant of the worm, which infected computers in mid-2003 and targeted computers at Microsoft. Parson said he created his "B" or "teekids" variant of the Blaster worm and used it to access 50 computers which he then used to launch a broader attack on more than 48,000 computers.

Blaster and its variants are self-replicating Internet worms that bore through a security hole in Windows, Microsoft's operating system which is found on more than 90 percent of the world's personal computers
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Mahmoud Siddiqi is offline Be-Headed

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Yes. Do the crime, do the time.

If you're smart enough to hack or create a virus, you're smart enough to realize the consequences.

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow

Greetings Ifasehun & Mahmoud!

I believe that teens should be held responsible for the havoc and aggravation they keep putting others through when they create all these viruses. Yes if they do the crime they should also do the time, but the type of time they do should be seriously thought about and considered.

I agree with them doing the community service as well. I wont hold the parents responsible for the crimes of the children since nowadays so many of these youths have a mind of their own and do whatever they want despite how much discipline the parents are trying to administer.

Some financial payment as an example should be collected from these children as well. Now the jail time I am not really a fan of. I think the jail time and the prison environment will encourage them to be more deliquent, with all the vices that goes on in that place. Maybe being confined to their house with that ankle bracelet which detects their movement(I forgot the name) I feel is a better option. And also they should be restricted from internet/computer access for a specified time, as part of their punishment as well.

Peace & Blessings of Afrikan Love!!
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Mahmoud Siddiqi is offline Be-Headed

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness
      I agree with them doing the community service as well. I wont hold the parents responsible for the crimes of the children since nowadays so many of these youths have a mind of their own and do whatever they want despite how much discipline the parents are trying to administer.

Yes! Community service is a very good idea. But it should be a LONG sentence (not only 100 hours).

Some financial payment as an example should be collected from these children as well.

From the CHILDREN, not the PARENTS. The responsibility must be givin to the children. They did the crime. What do you think should determine the amount of the payment?

Maybe being confined to their house with that ankle bracelet which detects their movement(I forgot the name) I feel is a better option. And also they should be restricted from internet/computer access for a specified time, as part of their punishment as well.
      It's called House Arrest. Speaking from experience, this method usually does not change the mindset or overall actions of the person it is sentenced to. But of course, more than one action of discipline can be tried. One child may react different than the next.

I most definitely agree that computer access should be forbidden for a LONG time.

Thread Information