Received: 1/0
      Given: 18/0

Arrow How to run your own recording studio

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      How to run your own recording studio

By Byron Acohido,
      USA TODAY
      Wed Jun 8, 7:03 AM ET

By day Josh Phoenix, 25, hawks cell phones for a living. At night, he returns to his apartment with a city skyline view and transforms into the second coming of Quincy Jones.

An Apple Mac G5 computer with a 23-inch screen dominates his cramped living room. It is flanked by a microphone, synthesizer, mixer board, monitor speakers and other gear that gives Phoenix the ability to produce music CDs of high sonic quality. (Related audio: Josh Phoenix sings)

Not long ago, only professional recording studios, stocked with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear, could do what Phoenix does in his apartment. Quantum leaps in digital technology in the past decade have changed that.

Today, anybody can easily set up an amazingly capable home recording studio, called a digital audio workstation, or DAW. All you need is a decent computer and a modest amount of cash for some digital recording hardware and software.

Imagine fabled music producer George Martin sitting in the multimillion-dollar control room of Abbey Road Studios about to mix and master the Beatles' raw recording tracks.

For about $3,500, including the price of a new computer, you could be sitting in front of a DAW on a kitchen table with capabilities Martin never dreamed of. A DAW converts analog audio - vocals and sounds from a musical instrument - into a digital file that gets etched directly onto a computer's hard drive. It then puts hundreds of editing, mixing and mastering options within mouse-click reach.

This little collection of hardware and software has replaced racks upon racks of analog gear used in the storied studios where Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin laid down the rock classics. You can edit, mix, add effects and polish endlessly. If you don't like what you hear, start over.

"Technology has really broken down some doors for musicians and producers," says Mark Miller, founder of Seattle-based Kalara Studios. "An artist can work from home in an environment that allows them the freedom to work at their own pace, without the pressures of a high-priced studio."

As with any complex system, a DAW can be complicated to set up and requires diligence to acquire a basic set of skills. The good news is that companies such as Apple and Yamaha view home-music recording as an important growth market. Both supply plenty of customer support. And new Apple Macs come with GarageBand, a program for creating music loops by stitching together samples of different instruments.

To set up a DAW, experts advise following these basic guidelines:

Start with ample computing power[/list]. Because each nuance of sound gets processed, audio work is one of the most demanding tasks a computer can do. Figure on an Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon processor of 2.8 GHz or better, or an Apple Mac G4 of at least 1.6 GHz.

Don't scrimp on memory or hard drive space. You can get away with 512 MB of RAM, but you should double that. Also boost hard drive space to at least 100 GB. A simple way: Add an external hard drive.

Choose your platform. Windows PCs or Apple Macs both work well. But if there's a choice, it's worth weighing the trade-offs.

Apple has become the professional recording industry standard by controlling the design of computers that work well with digital editing tools. Apple fine-tunes its motherboards, sound cards and graphics cards expressly to integrate with digital editing systems.

By contrast, you should anticipate major tweaking to get a DAW running on a Windows PC. "Some of this stuff isn't as plug-and-play as it should be," says Jake Ludington, technology reviewer at MediaBlab.com.

That's partly because dozens of companies make motherboards, sound cards and graphics cards for Windows PCs sold by Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Sony, Toshiba and others. Windows' compatibility with digital editing hardware and software is rarely straightforward. "PCs are for tinkerers who don't mind puzzling things together," says Scott Perry, an Austin independent film producer. "Apple does a brilliant job of coordinating hardware and software so the least-experienced user can use it immediately."

But expect to pay a 20% to 30% premium for a Mac. Keep in mind that chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices is pushing hard to popularize Windows PCs for digital editing. It has partnered with HP to supply a line of HP Pavilion laptops with enough heft to do audio work. Plus, it is helping Yamaha popularize a new protocol, called mLAN, designed to make it much easier to network audio gear around a PC hub.

AMD has made converts of Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Dweezil Zappa and other musicians who now swear by DAWs that use AMD's efficient Opteron line of chips. (Athlon is the consumer version.)

"AMD's technology is ridiculous as far as speed and reliability," says Elliott Steiner, who used PCs to record and mix Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival concert last summer in Dallas' Cotton Bowl.

Pick your editing software. The top-selling programs include ProTools, Cubase, Sonar and Logic. Each comes in a pro version, with prices ranging into the thousands of dollars, and features that go deep.

But each also comes in powerful starter versions that go for about $300; bare-bones versions are often packaged free with peripheral hardware. The starter versions are full of enough features to satisfy most serious hobbyists and semi-professionals.

Pick your peripherals. You'll need a microphone to lay down vocal tracks and record accompanying instruments. The Shure SM58, the longtime standard for live performances, is a safe bet for recording and performing at around $100. Budget another $60 for cable, stand and boom.

Or you could opt for a condenser mike designed mainly for recording. The choices are endless. The Shure SM86, runs about $180. You could earn cool points by choosing the angular Behringer B-1, about $100, or the spherical Blue 8-Ball, about $200.

You need to plug the mike in somewhere. The 1/8-inch mike jack on a computer isn't designed to push rich audio data onto a hard drive. PreSonus, Motu and Digidesign make a device, called an interface, that pre-amplifies an audio signal, converts it into a digital file, then transfers it to a hard drive for editing.

The $600 PreSonus Firepod is the simplest, least expensive way to simultaneously plug in and record up to eight mikes and instruments. For $200 more, add an external controller, such as the Behringer BCF2000. A controller lets you eliminate your mouse and replace it with buttons, knobs and sliding control bars, called faders, that sync with your editing software.

Yamaha is staking out turf with the $1,000 Yamaha O1X mLAN studio. The O1X is an all-in-one interface and controller. As a bonus, it also functions as a smart digital mixer, capable of memorizing the finely tuned audio settings you'll set up for each musician and instrument you record. You can save and recall mixer settings for different venues, such as a basement vs. a church hall.

Though all of the processes are happening inside a computer, and can be enabled by a keyboard and mouse, devices such as the BCF2000 and 01X let you adjust multiple slider bars, buttons and knobs all at once, just like George Martin or Quincy Jones.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/how...NlYwNjaWQ3Mzg-

Copyright © 2005 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.
      Posted In The Spirit of Learning & Sharing
      One Love & Respect Always

The Quest for knowledge stops at the grave.
      HIM Emperor Haile Selassie I.

If you fail to prepare,
      you are preparing to fail!

Mind what you want, because someone wants your mind.

Working together, the ants ate the elephant.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Peace and Love, Jahness

This is a GREAT post! I myself have been making music since the fall of 2002, and throughout I have been on a computer program called "Fruityloops". It's simple to start off with, but difficult to master. With my music, it's very...well, "out there". I hope to up my production skills this year by expanding my knowledge of music composing software. I'm going to pass this article around to all of my brothers out there composing music; there are a lot of great tips in the article.

Thanks once again for a great post. and :cheers:
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Jahness is offline OniOni Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings ThaAlchemist!

Welcome to the discussion. Thank you for taking the time to
      check out the post.

I am happy that you find the information interesting and also
      helpful.

Personally I am just amazed sometimes as to the great things
      computers are capable of doing.

It is a very useful tool, and it has made a lot of people lives
      much easier.

To me one of the best uses is to be able to connect with my
      Afrikan brothers such as yourself.

Even the ability to have a forum such as AssataShakur, and
      connect all of us as Afrikans worldwide is an amazing
      accomplishment.

Good luck with all your music endeavors. I know you can do
      all that you set your brilliant Afrikan mind to achieving.

Let me know how things go if and when you ever decide to try
      it, or even if your friends try it and they let you know.

Thanks for sharing, as always it's a pleasure reasoning with you.

Peace & Blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Elisa Keisha is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

Hey Sister Queen, cool thread! aint this technology great? when I was little I always thought of me in the future goin into those big studios with the wide window separatin ur space with the mic from the experts and they pushin a botton to communicate with u like "repeat this last part" lol....

Now last time I recorded sumthin we were at this friend's who is a dj, havin dinner, and we just went into this bedroom with that big a** computer and be like, hey lets do sumthin. lol. The expirience is awesome :cheers:

By the way I remeber tryin to use FruityLoops... but now I use Cool Edit, tho I use it just for fun coz I have never tried to master it, I leave that to my friends.
      WHen are u sharin some of ur music ThaAlchemist?

Elisa Marvena Nyarai

SANKOFA Asociacin Cultural
      www.myspace.com/sankofacultura
      http://sankofacultura.blogspot.com

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa_Keisha
      Hey Sister Queen, cool thread! aint this technology great? when I was little I always thought of me in the future goin into those big studios with the wide window separatin ur space with the mic from the experts and they pushin a botton to communicate with u like "repeat this last part" lol....

Now last time I recorded sumthin we were at this friend's who is a dj, havin dinner, and we just went into this bedroom with that big a** computer and be like, hey lets do sumthin. lol. The expirience is awesome :cheers:

By the way I remeber tryin to use FruityLoops... but now I use Cool Edit, tho I use it just for fun coz I have never tried to master it, I leave that to my friends.
      WHen are u sharin some of ur music ThaAlchemist?

Greetings sister Elisa_Keisha!

Welcome to the discussion. It is great seeing you here. I like you
      leave all the music stuff to my friends, who loves all that.

Memorial weekend, i spent helping one of my friends in Florida to
      set up this radio station he wanted to do, streamimng continuous
      live music. He didn't want to use live365, naw that was to easy...lol
      He didn't want to only use music stored on his hard drive. He wanted
      to be able to connect his cd player and change cd's as often as he
      wished with a continuous stream of music.

I was sick for that whole week , so I wasn't even my regular self.
      Maybe that is why I was so tired when we finally finished.

That Windows Media Encoder can be a pain at times to customize
      and cofigure. We spent all weekend, but we got it done. It was
      fun, but very trying at times.

Well I am looking forward to hearing some music by both of you if
      you care to share with me warriors :o

It was fun, thanks for your valuable input.

Peace & Blessings!

If you fail to prepare,

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Greetings to Sister Elisa Keisha and to Sister Jahness!

I'd be happy to share music with you two as well as anyone else that is willing to hear my music. As of right now, however, I'm on a dial-up connection, so I'll have to wait before sending my music to anyone.

I originally had an artist page on ACIDPlanet.com, but I deleted it for fear of someone biting off of my music. My music isn't copyrighted yet, but I know that the brothers and the sisters here on the board wouldn't steal my music.

As soon as I get my high-speed connection back and running, I'll make sure to inform everyone and I'll be more than happy to e-mail anyone that would like to hear my music.

The music that I make, well...it's different from most people that I know that use fruityloops. Sometimes, I get inspired by an artist that I'm listening to (most recently, it was Sister Erykah Badu's song "Rimshot" from Baduizm), and other times I just do things off the top of my head. It is like that in the same sense when I am writing poetry.

Well, I appreciate both of you for your interest in my music, and I'll be sure to let you two and everyone else know when my connection improves. If you have anymore questions about what my music sounds like, or just questions in general about me, feel free to send me a PM, or hit me up on AOL Instant Messenger.

and :cheers:

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ThaAlchemist
      Greetings to Sister Elisa Keisha and to Sister Jahness!

I'd be happy to share music with you two as well as anyone else that is willing to hear my music. As of right now, however, I'm on a dial-up connection, so I'll have to wait before sending my music to anyone.

I originally had an artist page on ACIDPlanet.com, but I deleted it for fear of someone biting off of my music. My music isn't copyrighted yet, but I know that the brothers and the sisters here on the board wouldn't steal my music.

As soon as I get my high-speed connection back and running, I'll make sure to inform everyone and I'll be more than happy to e-mail anyone that would like to hear my music.

The music that I make, well...it's different from most people that I know that use fruityloops. Sometimes, I get inspired by an artist that I'm listening to (most recently, it was Sister Erykah Badu's song "Rimshot" from Baduizm), and other times I just do things off the top of my head. It is like that in the same sense when I am writing poetry.

Well, I appreciate both of you for your interest in my music, and I'll be sure to let you two and everyone else know when my connection improves. If you have anymore questions about what my music sounds like, or just questions in general about me, feel free to send me a PM, or hit me up on AOL Instant Messenger.

Greetings ThaAlchemist

Ready whenever you are. We will be here whenever you get back
      your high speed connection.

Just know you got the support from us. I am sure whatever your
      creative mind has put into place is excellent.

Stay Blessed & Inspired!

Peace!

If you fail to prepare,

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

For those who are interested, my internet connection is back to blazing status. If anyone would like to hear my music, feel free to PM me, or catch me on AOL Instant Messenger.

Hit me up!

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings ThaAlchemist!

I am interested! I am interested! I am interested! :cheers:

Send me the info via PM please. Thanks!

Stay Blessed!

If you fail to prepare,

Thumbs Up/Down

Arrow

Greetings Brother ThaAlchemist!

BlackNificent! BlackTastic & BlackCellent!

Well from those words, you can see how excited
      I am.

I love the music. I find the music to be very
      tranquil, and soothing.

It just sounds very pleasant. My favorite track is
      E***real_Palace.

Thank you for the great opportunity to share in your
      divine creation.

Stay Blessed & Keep on Creating!

If you fail to prepare,

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Jahness
      Greetings Brother ThaAlchemist!

BlackNificent! BlackTastic & BlackCellent!

Well from those words, you can see how excited
      I am.

I love the music. I find the music to be very
      tranquil, and soothing.

It just sounds very pleasant. My favorite track is
      Ethereal_Palace.

Thank you for the great opportunity to share in your
      divine creation.

Stay Blessed & Keep on Creating!
      Greetings, Sister Jahness!

I'm glad that you enjoyed my music, and even more glad that you found it so soothing. I have more music if you would like it. Let me know!

Thread Information