Forgot your password?

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

Yahoo drops user-created chat rooms

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      New York, June 25 (Kashar News):yahoo drops its users-created chat rooms and stopped letting its users set up their own online chat rooms, after TV news report that some people were using the service to solicit sexual encounters with children.

Companies such as PepsiCo State Farm Insurance and Georgia-Pacific Corp. stopped advertising on Yahoo after they were informed that adults were attempting to lure children into sexual encounters within some of Yahoo's user-created chat rooms.

"We are working on improvements to the service to enhance users' experience and their compliance with our terms of service," Osako said. "Yahoo condemns the use of Internet tools for illegal activities."

KPRC reported last month that major advertisers including PepsiCo Inc., Georgia-Pacific Corp. and State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. removed their ads after the station found the ads were appearing on Yahoo user-created chat rooms that were aimed at sex with children.

Yahoo requires users to agree not to "harm minors in any way" or make available any content that is "unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous or otherwise objectionable, " according to its Web site.

However, chat rooms set up and maintained by Yahoo remain open, Osako said.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 11/0

mixed reaction on this.. i remember when yahoo bought egroups and how we lost person-to-person technical support and how we lost archive space on "yahoogroups", and the litany of dumb "services" they replaced it with, like "My Yahoo" now a loss of user created chat rooms, which were a hallmark from the beginning?

its like banning messageboards.
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

Raha is offline Be EASY.

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

It gets worse, IfasehunReincarnated. MSN is now charging people to use their chat service (a person has to buy a subscription to Hotmail Plus, and they'll get the chat roo privileges included with the subscription), I'm thinking as a precaution that what happened with the Yahoo chat rooms won't happen with the MSN chat rooms.

Of course, this could have also been avoided if moderators were put into the user-created chat rooms.
      Pyrrhic Victory (New songs are up!): http://www.reverbnation.com/pyrrhicvictory

Some people take themselves WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, when in actuality, no one else is really taking them as seriously as they think.

BlackIsPower is offline Moderator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

Yeah MSN has been charging people to chat in they rooms for about 2 years now..... that's why i canceled my subscription AND they got rid of all the Black based chatrooms with the lie of reopening them in a few months which never happened, msn's problem is that it started off as a free service and then tried to switch up and be like aol.... I wouldn't be surprised if msn started making their msn community sections a paid subscription as well and yahoo ending it's user created rooms is ridiculous alot of times people create those rooms because they don't feel like getting booted off yahoo every 2 minutes , maybe this is their way of tryin to slow down the free interaction of the masses through the internet by making the people pay for the priviledge
      Word is bond,bond is life i give my life before my word shall fail /a soldiers oath/freedom or death/I won't stop if I fail,If I fail I get back up can't be soft /gotta be tough/failure is NOT a option/Real recognize Real/let's get it poppin /with mathematics you can solve any problem /that's how we make it to the Top from the Bottom -Dead Prez

Thread Information