Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

View Poll Results: 1993: Who, What, Where were you?

Voters
    33. You may not vote on this poll
    • don't even ask

5 15.15%
    • its was the best of times; it was the worst of times

11 33.33%
    • i forget

2 6.06%
    • why you gettin all personal?

1 3.03%
    • i remember like it was yesterday

14 42.42%
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
      Langalibalele is offline Honorable Ancestor

Little Haiti, Pittsburgh aka Amerikaz Black Colony
      Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0
      Given: 0/0

"I remember it like yesterday..."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
      In 1993, exactly thirteen years ago on the 27th of this month, Oakland was ready to go to lunch on smoked pig barbecue. Biko Lumumba (RIP) was APSP LPO chairman and I was secretary. It was quiet that morning. Comrades were doing their various chores when the calls started coming in. I think the NAACP called first, wanting to hold a rally Downtown.

But then the lines started flooding with calls. It was the masses. They were saying "Rodney King! Rodney King!"
      They called to demand a Downtown rally. We held a hurried meeting, as people began barging into the Uhuru House. Then we caravaned to the downtown rendevous point.

There were about 150 people already there, and workers, students and activists filtered in at a rapid rate. Biko had a loudspeaker, and the rest of us passed out leaflets. NPDUM local pres Omowale made a statement. And we also turned the mic over to the masses. Students, MEChA activists, and a few workers all summed up the situation. Many of these people were folks we had little or no prior contact with, but obviously they were down with Uhuru.

One final speaker showed up. An elder, a brother with his collar on backwards. He started saying we need to think about what we were about to do. He stated, "We don't want anymore violence." He began preaching non-violence, after the State proved it was perfectly willing to inflict arbitrary violence on anyone of us at anytime. The masses booed him so hard I was afraid we all might get fucked up if they wanted to kick his ass. I thought they was gonna kill that preacher. Biko yanked the mic out of his hand. He asked if anybody was feeling that. The crowd shouted "NO!!" in unison. By now there were at least 300 people in that little square. So we started marching and chanting. We had lots of chants.

Youths were breaking the little trees that had been planted downtown. They were breaking down the little trees to tear shit up. I was apprehensive because we didn't have no real shit, no real bricks and clubs to fight the pigs, just knuckles and boots. Them lil trees weren't finna hurt nothing. I was like salty that one of the youth was trearing up this lil shit. I got salty with the guy like two or three times. Then Omowale sed something to me, forgot what it was, but that kinda settled my nerves. Omowale was the type of brother that could think of three words which had enuf depth to get the point across. He didn't rebuke me, he didn't say anything sarcastic, it was wry and observant, whatever he sed. Omowale gave me some steel. I remember all that like yesterday.

All 300 men women and even high school youths marched militantly up to the police station (pig sty) and the demonstration split into to sections. It actually fragmented as we came up to the pig sty. Biko, on the speaker, sed we finna march AROUND the police station. We making this up as we go, dunno what's effective at this point, you see. We were going with the flow, trying to maintain a modicum of control, yet having no intention of watering down this thing. It was not an uprising at this point. But soon we would face the bridge of no return.

The demonstration started marching in front of the police station. We were out front where you walk in from the street, the cops came outside as if they were providing protection for us, I remember that. But somebody, Adigun or somebody else, was almost futilely directing this group from the side. I saw them, forgot who it was, and was able to move the people in that section around back. We marched, away from the pigs who had wandered outside. We got to the back and the masses were banging on the garage door. Chanting and banging. I found myself at the garage door. The pigs tried to bring a van out. The youth rushed forward. They rushed foward and stopped that motherfucker. We were all rocking and bouncing that motherfucker. Not like that rap video shit. Not like anything you have seen. Not that close, not there with your hands on the motherfucker, the screams in your ears, shouting at the top of your lungs. Every fibre in your body is alive, you cannot forget a single moment of action.

The pigs backed that motherfucker into the garage and dropped the door. We were fired up then. Any apprehension had disappeared. We kept up the chants and marched to West Oakland. Well, we didn't really march to West Oakland. We crossed the Freeway. Africans stopped traffic on the freeway. They broke down the fence, jumped the barrier, and crossed the freeway, straight to the other side, jumped that barrier, broke down that fence and climbed the hill. DAYUM! Thas all I could think. I was about a third of the way from the rear. Africans was moving like gazelle that day.

....And it wasn't over yet, not by a long shot!!!!

If I think enuf folks is "instrested", I'll give the rest of the story later. Uhuru.
      Build a World Wide Palenque:
      Communities of Resistance!

Mbantunyankompong and Kilombo Republic

Thumbs Up/Down

i remember it like it was yesterday

in 1993 i was entering my senior year in highschool. during that summer i was organizing what came to be the first high school level sorority in the state. even back then i was trying to come up with solutions to bring about sisterhood. i also studied the bible in great lengths and came to my own conclusions as to what it was all about. that same year my house burned down, scarring my 7 month old niece as the fire started in her crib. i dropped out of school that same year after making it to calculus and college english. i was to go on to prarie view to be an engineer but lost all faith in the white mans system. i became an autodidact, teaching myself. and at my school, the students marched out when the verdict came back as guilty for oj simpson. (organized by the mostly Black staff)

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
      why you think our ancestors in ancient Kemet ruled for so long!

Anayansi is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

My son was 3, the cutest age in a little boy. Panama was on its 3rd year of recovery after the US invasion. During the invasion no measures were taken to maintain law and order and apart from the fighting the invaders, violence and looting started, with much destruction, and even deaths. When I saw the LA riots on the news, I thought... hmm now they know what it feels to have your city destroyed and your stores looted.
      My AV represents the Harpy Eagle, whichis the national bird of Panama. It is an endangered species that nests high in the forests of regions that go from Mexico to South America.

Eka
      Eka is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

In 1993 I was just born, I was in my mother, father and grandmothers arms. I had plenty of pictures of me taken, my life was surrounded with love and I was the center, I was the spoiled brat.....yes, things do change as life goes on.....
      Yesterday is a memory,....tomorrow is a mystery,.....but today is a gift.

He said "There is no need to be afraid of what is to come”

“The human body is the universe in miniature. That which cannot be found in the body is not to be found in the universe. Hence the philosopher’s formula that the universe within reflects the universe without. It follows, therefore, that if our knowledge of our body own could be perfect, we would know the universe.” –Mahatma Gandhi

Urban Scholar is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

In 1993 I was 9 years young crushing on girls, listening to A Tribe Called Quest's "Award Tour" on the radio and moved into a new apartment with my mother. Nothing too remarkable.

TureBandele is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0

I was 6 years old and that was the last time I was average size cause in 94' I went to N.Y for the first time and pigged out and never really lost the weight so I started pumping weights from my teens to now to stay big but healthy because I dont wanna be small cause have'nt been since I was six.

No More Negro Stuff !!!

BLACK POWER TV

THE AFRICAN ARMY

visit my store:
      http://www.zazzle.co.uk/adeture*

manifestdestiny is offline Administrator

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 2/0

Sad but in 1993 I was 16 and in Juvenile. I remember being full of anger and misguided. However, I was able to get my GED and enroll in college later that year. It was then I realized that I am actually intelligent. FYI, power rangers were an Ultra man knock off, atleast to me. Which is why I watched it at first but later I got into X man.

chillz is offline Most Honorable NISWT

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0
      Given: 1/0

who?
      - I didn't even know who i was. I was in the streets doing dirt!

what?
      - Wannabe Rapper... Street child

where?
      - West Philly!
      Respect commands itself and it can neither be given nor withheld when it is due.

My spiritual Daughter.. Amirah Kerrin Naima Jhournee

My spiritual Son.. Tahir Etienne Amir Reginald

I aint forget..

Dr.Freeman is offline Premium Member

Thumbs Up/Down

I was almost 40 and in the middle of having the kitchen remodeled. Never do that again. Not while living there anyway.

Kohn-Ma is offline Moderator

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 14/0

1993, I was about 8 years old, living with sorry sadistic excuses for foster parents.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information