DECEMBER 2005 ACTION ALERT
Main Page of This Alert: December 2005 Action Alert, Assata Shakur Speaks
TITLE:Morehouse Police Beat Up Civil Rights Leader!
TIME FRAME: 1 Month
PLAN OF ACTION:
Contact Morehouse College and Morehouse Police Department and demand that an act of police brutality perpetrated against civil rights icon Mukasa Dada (Willie Ricks) are corrected and that he is compensated for his injuries.
Protest Police Brutality!
PURPOSE OF ACTION:
Rectify an act of police brutality against Mukasa Dada, formerly named Willie Ricks, creator of the term "Black Power" and pioneering civil rights activist.
Morehouse police beat up Civil Rights Leader and Elder, Mukasa Dada former known as Willie Ricks of Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at Morehouse College. As a Field Secretary for SNCC and overall freedom fighter for Black people in general, we feel this attack by Morehouse Police is dishonorable, appallingly contradictory, and a slap in the face to all Black Leadership past, present, and future. Mukasa Dadas history in the civil rights movement, Black power movement, and all Black progressive movements is impeccable. Not only did Mukasa Dada popularize the chant of Black Power but he also is highly spoken of by other civil rights leaders.
PHOTOS OF INJURIES
Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5
Who Is Mukasa Dada?
- Civil Rights Leader, Elder, Father, Organizer, Orator
- Field Secretary of Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC)
- The fiery orator of SNCC - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in his 1967 book, Where Do We Go From Here
- Willie Ricks must rank as one of those unknown heroes who captured the mood of history. In calling for Black Power, he caught the essence of the spirit, moving Black people in the United States and around the world who were poor, Black, and without power - James Forman of SNCC
- Popularized of the chant, Black Power
- For more information about Mukasa Dada:
Mukasa Ricks: Orator ▪ Organizer ▪ Freedom Fighter
- Exclusive Video Interview w/ Mukasa Dada
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO NOW
- Call Morehouse Police: 1-404-215-2666
Call Morehouse President, Dr. Massey: 1-404-215-2645
Call Morehouse Public Relations: 1-404-614-3788
Call Morehouse College Ethics Line: 1-404-614-8562
- Fax Letters to Morehouse #1: 1-404-659-6536
Fax Letters to Morehouse #2: 1-404-215-2729
- Mail Letters To
Dr. Walter E. Massey
830 Westview Drive, S.W.
Atlanta, GA 30314
- DONATE TO THE WILLE "MUKASA" RICKS MEDICAL FUND (may need surgury)
- Discuss Current Action Alert with Others
Flyers, Distribute Widely
- Morehouse Police Beat Up Civil Rights Leader: Download Here (.doc)
- Morehouse Police Beat Up Civil Rights Leader: Download Here (.pdf)
- Fire involved officers (officer C. Cox and others)
- Public written apology
- All charges dropped
- Restitution for Mukasa Dada and his family for medical services and humiliation
- Police Department notified that acts of brutality must be punished.
- Public awareness of police brutality will be heightened.
- Public will know that police often use false arrest to hide their own criminal intent.
- Mukasa Dada will receive financial restitution.
Follow-up Poll Here
Share Your News Items
If you have articles, photographs, video or other news coverage or commentary related to a monthly Action Alert Please contact us.
December 2005 Action Alert, Assata Shakur Speaks
For More Information
Remember we are striving for 5,000 Participant STRONG every Action! If you have ever wondered how you can make an impact, its in sheer numbers. Please Participate and Share this action with at least 5-10 others.
When did it become okay for Police at Black Colleges to Brutalize Black People?