Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      IfasehunReincarnated is offline Never Let Them Disrespect the Ancestors

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 1/0
      Given: 0/0

Exclamation The Negative Impact Of Cursing

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I can't say that I don't curse. Maybe a foul word or two every couple of days. They usually come while I am driving, and YOU have just cut me off, or "made me" miss a light. lol More often than not, it becomes a part of the arsenal I use in conveying social injustice or my frustration with social injustice.

But I have always known the greater truth - curse words birth, cultivate and perpetuate negative energy. Even casual use.

What's the golden rule? Nothing is destroyed, its simply changes forms. This is what guides our understanding of Ancestorship. No one goes away, they just change form. Well, the same goes for words, both verbal or mentally projected. Those words add to the existing climate of things for better or worse.

As spiritualists, and more importantly as traditionalists, we should be cognizant and respectful of the power of word. We should not make excuses or pretend that the power of word begins or ends at some moment that convenient for us. All our words matter. Every last one. All our words affect change. Every last one.

Some words are more obviously sacred than others. They contain key sounds and have been borne specifically to work above and beyond what other words do. These words find their ways into prayers, incantations, ritual space and secret conversations. Some of these words will never be heard by the masses. Yes. There are words that no matter who you are, you will not gain access to them. They are that powerful, that their caretakers pass them on to a limited group of people in their cultural group each generation.

No matter what grade of 'sacred word' you have access to, you benefit from the energy or vibrational content of not only uttering that word, but also all the energy cultivated by former users before you. Words literally collect and grow in power over time.

But mundane social language has power too. Words like "wow" and "shit" have vibrational energy that is the result of all their prior uses by their prior users. When we say them, we INVOKE the energy of those prior occurrences into our life, and into our present. We invite them into our space.

For those of you that study some form of "aura" based spiritual science you are aware that everything emits energy and that energy can be cataloged by the color associated with it. We know as rational spiritualists that "wow" and "shit" do not, could not, would not and can not emit the same aura, cultivate the same energy, invoke the same spiritual vibration as one another. Using common sense, we can assume that curse words can only bring negative energy into the world, as they are not true exclamations of joy, happiness or peace. They are sarcastic, antagonistic, depressing, enraging, offensive, ambivalent and cynical. They are at their core words that represent everything that we don't like about ourselves and life in general. They are anti-thesis to the spiritual philosophy of Iwa-Pele and any other indigenous view of spiritual progress.

A curse word is not uttered in spiritual communion, it is uttered as a sign of disconnect from Self, Community, Life and/or Spirit. While these words express our frustrations, they do not help us solve those frustrations. In fact, I am sure spiritual evidence would show that they make the spiritual climate worst.

It is for these reasons, that we should do more than just be selective in when and how we use curse words, but we should be determined to wipe them from our mouths and psyche.

After all, every curse word you ever uttered is out there in the world, seeking and strengthening itself with like energy. It will not dissipate, it will not be destroyed, it will only change form. It will exist until you retract it or transform it. In light of the sheer difficulty of such a task, perhaps the best we can ask it that we just won't invoke any more negative vibrations through cursing in the future.

Perhaps the roots of cursing has already been uncovered. I am always reminded of the smug debutante that would relay to all the other kids what she learned in etiquette class, “People that curse are people with trouble expressing themselves.” (Oh, did I dislike that girl growing up!) But maybe she was on point with her observation. I have never finished an Orisa ritual and felt like cursing afterwards. I don't get up from a meditation session with a curse word on my tongue. When fully engaged and connected to Spirit, I choose not only less offensive words to express myself, I do so with great ease. So what's this mean? As spiritualists, and more importantly as traditionalists, each of us should be finding a way to bring our spiritual space into the other aspects of our lives. We should seeing every aspect of our life, whether it be our time behind the steering wheel, or at the job, or on the softball diamond at the family reunion as a spiritual experience, and routinely breathing, praying and invoking the right energy into our lives. Maybe when we do this, we naturally turn away from language that can only serve to contribute all of the counterproductive energy and reality created by people. It seems like a lot of work, but it certainly sounds worth it.

So today, let's make a commitment to use words that always cultivate positivity. Let's also cement those efforts by invoking the kind of spiritual attitude that it requires to keep that commitment.

this article is reprinted from my site: rootsandrooted.org/cursing.htm
      All is Well. Workin' Hard - Tryin' to Save Time for Fam. Check in Periodically.

WombanAuset is offline Sacred Militant Womb-Man

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 2/0

Super Bump!!!!
      Ahoofe ntua ka, suban pa na hia- physical beauty does not count much, it is good character that counts.
      See a black man dead, from a white man's powder
      See a white man scared, from a black man's power~Timbaland

Joey is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 0/0

I feel you about curse words. At the same time you mentioned that "While these words express our frustrations, they do not help us solve those frustrations." That is true, they do not solve the frustrations, but is it not also important to begin by expressing the frustrations? Hear me out. I am not condoning blind use of cuss wrds, for example you stub your toe and utter the nastiest word that comes to mind, but I'm thinking more along the lines of poetry. Sometimes the best word to put to an emotion is the wrongest, harshest word, that has an attack and a bite to it.

What do you think?

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up

Alafia Joey, (Glad to see you here and posting by the way)

I understand your position. I used to do performance poetry and both my wife and I are writers, so I feel what you are saying.

I would relay a short example. In STL we have something called Ngoma, which used to be sheer magic. Live poetry, music, drumming.. in the old days when a member of the extended family had their own restaurant, we might even dance in the spot! lol I mean it was really nice. And the messages were 99% Pan-Afrikan, so I am not talking any "Love Jones" poetry sets, or even the average "Slam", which in my mind are not always very productive. I am talking about all ages, Elders to infants, with grassroots activists with 20+ years in the struggles as its organizers, in a building where we routinely went outside for more * sensitive * discussions because some of us, both young and old, knew firsthand what being watched by the Feds meant.

Anyway... with all those hardcore organizers you'd think you could say what you wanted, how you wanted so long as the message got across. Well guess what? Ngoma in the early years prohibited cursing and only eventually asked you to allow people to exit before poems containing curse words were uttered. Not just children got up. Some adults bounced too. And they never felt like they missed the message when they did. Their protecting a part of their Spirit.

Now back to this discussion...I believe that every person that curses could rationalize an instant or occasion when cursing is completely appropriate. And before long, we would be adding back every single instance of cursing right back to the list.

The challenge is two-fold:
      • To control our emotions (which is a primary goal of spiritual enlightenment anyway)
      • To find multiple ways to communicate.

For those of us that are parents we know how difficult it is to convey concepts to small children without losing the meaning or thwarting their desire to learn. The same principle applies. We want people to understand our frustration, urgency and desires, but could/can we do it in a variety of ways without cursing??

If you move to a new country and you are just learning the language you have get across every emotion, need, desire and directive without using curse words...because you don't know them! And I can't ever recall anyone learning foreign curse words for any other reason besides curiousity. People dont say, I just cant get these foreigners to understand me until I use curse words. lol We have simply become comfortable with the use of spiritually disruptive language. All of us.

The question is, what do we really lose by discarding them? Are we that limited in our communications skills that curse words are our only resort in some cases??

Food for thought..

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up the power of curses

in brazilian afrikan tradtional religion i know curses do work, we sell in brazil,orisa powder,you can saya word and you will damage th persons entire life, words are vibrations that travels thru the air,words can kill or worda can heal,thoughts manifests itself thru energy and power, whena kandomble person or unmabanda person curses you out,is because the person have really done wrong or did them in,but be aware and very careful,coz, if u gonna curse somebody that doesnt deserve,you gonna share that curse with that person,the universe works in cycle of energy so,whatever you put it out there,it will come back to you, esus curse are powerful,some people in brazil makes curse,for people to wake up dead or to get intoa car accident,that came from inside info in the tradition for me,when a person curses me,i apply reverse psychology by saying" what you say will come back to you" or watch out because,some of it may come back to you" some curses people,set peoples house on fire,thats why iam extra careful,who i cross path withs,one sistah in brazil cursed me out and i had to undo what she did,little did she know,that i am child of shango and according to my elders,they told me" oh oh,she shouldnt mess with you, she didnt know, who she was messin with"
      next time,i go to brazil and step in to akamdomble circle,i will have protection with me,thats fo sho! ase ase o!

sotito! sododo! soora masika!
      " perform truth,perform righteousness,perform kindness and avoid cruelty!"

Nipa nye abe dua na ne ho ahyia ne ho. Or, Se mmerenkensono si ne ti ase a, na ewo dea asase reka kyere no. Also, Nnua nyinaa bewu agya abe.

Akyeame Kwame is offline Abibikasawura

Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 3/0

interesting N Fo! i usually reserve my curses for the "curse" section of my libations...stay BlackNificent!!!

AK
      Learn Twi, Yoruba and Wolof ||| Live Interactive Online

Abibitumi Kasa Afrikan Liberation Institute

Abibitumi Kasa Ning Network

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up hey ak here is some stuff in portuguese

brazilians words ak lol vou pedia meu santo,que me proteja de pessoas que rogam praga em mim! vou pedir aos meus orisas que me bendizem e e que me protejam" vou jogara maldicao,nos que me amaldicioman"

translation iam gonna ask my orisas to protect me from people that curses me,i am gonna ask my orisas to puta curse on those that curses me" say the name of the orisas in between lines

ps initiates dont have too much power as priest or priestesses do,but some have it since from birth man!

Nipa nye abe dua na ne ho ahyia ne ho. Or, Se mmerenkensono si ne ti ase a, na ewo dea asase reka kyere no. Also, Nnua nyinaa bewu agya abe.

Joey is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks for your reply, IfasehunReincarnated. Kweku_Omowale's post, because it approached the topic from a different angle, brought to my attention that curse words could mean different things to different people. Issuing a curse on someone's life is very dangerous and I would never do that to anybody deliberately. When I was reffering to curse words I was talking about words, that the majority find offensive, words that are used in vein. What constitues a curse word? IfasehunReincarnated, what kind of words were you reffering to? Not too list them, but explain.

Thanks

P.S. For the record, I try to avoid cursing to the best of my ability, of course... old habbits sometimes die hard.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up hello from toronto kanada joey

curses are powerful man, i aint joking, any where in the west indies, as well,some words are reserved for the member of society or group,like ifa said,although,in brazil,people wont curse you outloud, they will do it quitely, it works and i know it works,

Joey is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

I'm not doubting you. I know people who have had curses over their lives. If seen it from voodoo to simply the spiritual result of someone being told they are no good their whole life. I believe it and its dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kweku_Omowale
      curses are powerful man, i aint joking, any where in the west indies, as well,some words are reserved for the member of society or group,like ifa said,although,in brazil,people wont curse you outloud, they will do it quitely, it works and i know it works,

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up i will share with youa history of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Joey
      I'm not doubting you. I know people who have had curses over their lives. If seen it from voodoo to simply the spiritual result of someone being told they are no good their whole life. I believe it and its dangerous.

from ther age of 5,even though,i was raised bya catholic people,my grandmother neva knew i guess what she did and that her words were powerful and she is catholic, she used to tell me,that i was no good,and seemed that i had something on me,and bla bla bla, every time,we would come from the damn catholic church,arguments would break out and man,i would have terrible nightmares,she would say" look like the devil is this house and bla bla bla right" one thing that is the facto man,if you call up negative energy,it will manifest itself and it has manifested itself in my family,the very reason i got in to afrikan tradition

Nubian is offline Warrior

Thumbs Up/Down

is any european word really "sacred"?? i can agree that the intentions behind a certain word can generate negative energy..i have come to see english particularly as a very low language..confusing..and i'm wondering how much of it can really be seen as signifigant..spiritually to afrikans. i guess this should be another thread though..hahaha..

"is the english language sacred..or just a bunch of mumbo jumbo"??

XXPANTHAXX is offline Organizer

Blog Entries
      Thumbs Up/Down
      Received: 22/0
      Given: 145/1

Cool

For me the entire english language is a curse, none of us should speak it or any other european language and should view its entire use as a curse (Im cursing now) ..Although we use it, we must remember this language was forced upon our Ancestors and thus forced upon us, but we have an opportunity to release ourselves from this curse "English" right here and right now, in our quest to get free Black People What Ya'll Gonna Do?

PS I hope I didnt sway off topic too much, I understand the negative energy that Ifasehunreincarnated and others spoke of, so keep in mind cursing isnt language specific...but ALL european languages basically amounts to cursing everytime Afrikan People speak it
      Nov 2, 2010 "Assata Shakur Liberation Day" marks 31 yrs of freedom for our Comrade Assata Shakur, Our Warrior was liberated from a NJ prison by Comrades In The Black Liberation Army click here to read more or here www.assatashakur.com

Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up europeans the biggest witchcraft people in the world!

you are right about that pantha,english language isa cursed language, there was lots of witchs and what not in the medieval times, one brethen of mine,told me that the queen elizabitch is the biggest witch of dem all! :o

shangos child
      shango always go after people who makes and practises witchcraft

Thumbs Up/Down

the acting of "cursing an individual" and using curse words are two matters altogether. cursing as a matter of communicating is irresponsible. its just easy to get away with it because people dont usually stigmatize you severely.

Spiritual curses is a whole 'nother animal, and i think it would be irresponsible to dvelve into that here, so i am not even going to comment. If you all want to discuss, have at it, but I think's it's a bad idea. Open forums with varying spiritual knowledge aren't the ideal situation for discussing such a volatile subject and I dont want to be responsible for anybody's experimentation.

Pantha, Nubian without a doubt the burden of 500 years of speaking english has had a spiritual toll on us.

Nubian, all words of every language have varying power. Any word that is for example said by a 100 million people over 1000 years for example will have some kind of power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information