Vegetable-Seitan Pot Pie
two 9" pie crusts (one for the top, one for the bottom)
1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
1 small onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 8-ounce package seitan , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 envelope vegetarian brown gravy mix
1/2 teaspoon rosemary, ground in a mortar and pestle
(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
(2) Press one of the pie crusts into a pie pan, flute the edges, poke holes in the bottom and pre-bake for about 10 minutes.
(3) Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. (If you decide to use oil instead of margarine, sprinkle the vegetables with a pinch of salt while they are cooking.) Add the peas, corn and seitan, stir and remove from the heat.
(4) As the vegetables are cooking, prepare the gravy as directed on the package, and add the rosemary. (You might be able to find gravy that already has rosemary in it, which is ideal. You'd obviously not need to add any rosemary to that.)
(5) When the gravy is done, pour it over the vegetables and seitan. Pour this mixture into the pie crust. Place the other pie crust atop the pie, cut off any crust that hangs over the edge and press the edge into the edge of the bottom crust. Cut vents in the top crust and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top crust is browned (or until the gravy starts to bubble up).
Preparation time: 1 hour